First Brisket Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vision

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yesterday I started on my first smoke with the new WSM doing a brisket and I'm having issues...

I got a beautiful 18lb brisket and had no idea what to expect. On the way home from the store I'm thinking "is this thing going to cook for 27 hours? If I cut off 5lb of fat (which I doubt happened) will it really take 20 hours?" The pictures follow.

I think I got too aggressive with the trimming as I removed (what I think is) the entire corn and made an indentation on the brisket.

I decided to cook at 250. The WSM is fantastic BTW and did its job...but why was the dome temperature 50 degrees less than the grate temp? Did the meat keep it lower?

The plan was to start it at 6pm and put smoke on it until 150 (which would happen around 11pm or midnight), then foil with apple juice and in oven (at 250) until 200 which I thought would take until noon the next day. The plan didn't work.

It got to 150 around 9:30pm so I kept it on the smoker to keep the smoke on it. Around 11pm it went into the oven at 163...and I'm scratching my head asking "where's the plateau? The probe is in the middle of the flat.

Then at 4:30am the probe alarm is going off, the brisket is at 211. Crap!

Currently it's in a 170 oven with a temp of 190. I'm planning to leave it there until early afternoon when I start on the burnt ends.

What is going on???

03e7cc73_IMG_0900.jpg

48fb4fe6_IMG_0902.jpg

345a390c_IMG_0903_5.jpg

692f514a_IMG_0904_1.jpg

0f939e5f_IMG_0905_2.jpg

f386c917_IMG_0906_2.jpg

c888301a_IMG_0907.jpg

aabffedf_IMG_0908.jpg

f063096e_IMG_0910.jpg

0a2ea9db_IMG_0912.jpg

e411d1c3_IMG_0915.jpg

bc3dfb0f_IMG_0917.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like a normal brisket smoke to me.

They have a mind of their own.

You can only guestimate the finish time.

Each one seems to cook differently.

When you say the dome temp is 50 degrees different than the grate, I'm assuming you are referring to the 

factory therm in the lid. They are almost always off & should be used as a guide only.

Your briket looks very good, let us know how it tastes.

What Al said!

And it looks real good from here!!!

Any pics of slices?  And burnt ends???

Bear

One bit of caution: extended periods being held at temp can cause the meat fibers to break down to the point of becoming grainy in texture. With the high temp that it reached during smoking, I think it will occur more quickly. I've held butts and brisket before, and found it is a good alternative to foil/towel resting, but at some point, the meat proteins break...I've had that texture a couple times...not enough to know how long and at what temp it happens, though. I just don't how long you'll be able hold before it gets grainy.

It will be fall apart tender as long as it stays moist, so, you may not be able to slice the flat. The point was probably 20-30 lower than the flat and will reach pulling temp as well. Burnt ends may not be an option anymore.

If it's all to temp, you want to jack the "O" temp down to 180 or less if just holding. Temp of your point should be checked as well.

Nice pics and lookin' good so far.

Eric

What they said. The best advice I can give  you is make sure you have an accurate probe inside the meat and monitoring your smoker temp and just let it roll. Don't think about it so much. If your probes are accurate  then you know what your temps are at and you just have to let the smoker and meat do their thing. I usually figure 2 hours per lb if I need the meat done at a certain time for eating that way I know that I will have plenty of time. There is nothing worse then having a bunch of people standing around waiting for the meat to get done.  Normally that puts my meat done a few hours before I need it done but  that is perfect as it can sit in the cooler wrapped in foil and towels and let it rest and make it even more tender and juicy. So how did it turn out?

Thanks for all the help.

For a first attempt it turned out pretty good. I did what I could with the point and created burnt ends- mixed in rub and smoked for 1 hour, then bbq sauce and another hour of smoke. Next time I'll use very little apple juice to keep the drippings as beefy as possible, and will inject the flat.

a8612f0e_IMG_0918.jpg

d967580f_IMG_0928.jpg

fc3f5b35_IMG_0921.jpg

4a246326_IMG_0922.jpg

97d49f26_IMG_0930.jpg

a326f2c6_IMG_0929.jpg

dc80a6eb_IMG_0931.jpg

a5967ada_IMG_0941.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, not bad at all for a 1st brIsket smoke. Your's looks tasty.

I'd take a few of those nice big plump burnt ends off your hands while I wait for my brisket...tossed one in at 11:00 tonight, being the die-hard that I am.

Wish my 1st would have been a lot better...1/2 of it landed in the dumpster the next day. That was 3 years ago...now, they're second nature to me.

Glad you got a decent run for your money...first one's a charm...rest will come easy, and won't be cause for increased blood-pressure for ya...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric

bravo1.png
Looks great Vision!

What they said. The best advice I can give  you is make sure you have an accurate probe inside the meat and monitoring your smoker temp and just let it roll. Don't think about it so much. If your probes are accurate  then you know what your temps are at and you just have to let the smoker and meat do their thing. I usually figure 2 hours per lb if I need the meat done at a certain time for eating that way I know that I will have plenty of time. There is nothing worse then having a bunch of people standing around waiting for the meat to get done.  Normally that puts my meat done a few hours before I need it done but  that is perfect as it can sit in the cooler wrapped in foil and towels and let it rest and make it even more tender and juicy. So how did it turn out?
rbranster has a very good point. I started doing the same thing and he is right, you are always done early and no one is waiting around for dinner....I have had that happen and it's no fun for the guests or the cook!

I am doing my first brisket on my electric smoker. what are your thoughts on using a marianade? type of wood to use? rub? it is about 9lbs so should i stay with the two hour rule? any and all tips would be great.

I am doing my first brisket on my electric smoker. what are your thoughts on using a marianade? type of wood to use? rub? it is about 9lbs so should i stay with the two hour rule? any and all tips would be great.
welcome1.gif
   Glad to have you with us!

Have you used the smoker for other meat or is this your first smoke?

You did good for your first one...I would have started out with a smaller one. Try using beef broth for your liquid and add some dales steak seasoning to it its unbelievable...Good job !!!

That's a big brisket.  Some like to trim the fat beforehand and others like to leave it on.  The more fat, the longer the cooking time . . . but fat adds flavor to the meat, so don't trim off excessive amounts, otherwise your meat would become dry.  Cook the meat fat cap up.

I've not tried marianades.  I prefer a good rub, and if needed, a good sauce to complement the meat.  Goal being, not to need the sauce, so keeping the brisket tender and juicy is important.

Brisket is the king of meats.  I've never been comfortable cooking it since I don't cook it often enough and when I do I need to look back on my notes to see what went right or wrong the last time.  But even if overdone a bit, it still makes for great sandwiches, sliced or shredded with a great sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky