First bird, disappointed...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bb53chevpro

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2007
Well wasn't going to smoke today, but my oldest daughter asked for smoked ribs. So I caved in and agreed. Also decide to give a chicken a shot.
My wife prepped all the food this time since I was shovelling stone. We used Pineywoods brine, but not overnight. It was in brine for about 4 hrs.

Popped the ribs at 225 for 3 hrs. Then wrapped with foil. Cranked up the heat to 310 an inserted chicken. Temp in the breast hit 150. Took the foil off ribs. Smoked until chicken hit 170. All looks great and smells even better. Time to serve.

Now the disappointing part. The chicken was still not cooked at the bone in the thigh area. Breast was fully cooked. Had to sample it. It was Awesome. We Wrapped in foil and will finish cooking it in the oven tomorrow for dinner.

Wish it was fully cooked.
Enough said, here are some pics.
f5ebc6ed_vbattach19485.jpg

f01b80c7_vbattach19484.jpg

cfc5e8e8_vbattach19483.jpg

The first thing I ever smoked was 4 whole chickens (about 12 pounds of chicken) on my ECB R2D2 and I had to finish them off in the oven because I didn't start them early enough in the morning and had no clue how to keep the temp up at 250 all day long. Of course, Ive gotten much better at keeping the temp at the right temp and have found that chicken pieces work much better.

That thigh- that's where I take my temps at now. I have had this happen before. Lotta bone right there too. If ya grab the drummy, it should move pretty freely as another check.

Thanks Rich, I will be trying this again soon. I will definately try this. Cause the piece of breat we sampled was absolutely awesome.
Thanx

That is strange. The last bird I did I seperated the thighs from the breast and the thighs were done about one hour sooner. Hmm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky