First BB Ribs on the UDS w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fired up

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 12, 2008
Indianapolis,Indiana
Finally got to fire up the UDS again. Have been craving ribs for a few weeks so here we go.

I have been wanting to create a new dry rub so I just flung open the doors to my pantry, grabbed spices and seasonings by the armload and decided to just wing it. Mixed together a few things and tasted it dry until it seemed right.

Now on to the pork!

2 slabs of BBs with the experimental rub.

These went on to the UDS with some hickory at 225 degrees.
Since I didnt get them on until 4pm I was going to have to make the kids something else for dinner. I had some chicken breasts in the fridge so I put some of the new rub on them and tossed em on the weber.

Here is the kids finished dinner with some pineapple rice, broccoli, and butterflies.

By this point the neighbors found the courage to come over and see what I was up to. They had never heard of anyone cooking in a burn barrel before.
Unfortunately only 1 rack made it back into the house.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

And a little sliced action.

They were perfectly cooked, tugged right off the bone. The neighbors were impressed.

All and all I think the new rub was a success. On the chicken it seemed about right, just a tad bit spicier than I wanted it. On the pork it was a bit salty and also a little spicy. So with a few minor adjustments and a couple more practice runs I think I will have it down. And then I will share it with anyone who wants to try it.

I am cooking BBs for some friends on Sunday and then on Wednesday I am taking my smoker to work to cook more BBs for about 20 guys.

Thanks for looking!

Brad

Beautiful plate presentation on the kids dinner, and those ribs...man do they ever look good, tender, juicy, mouth watering delicious.
Bet your neighbors are going to stop by to say hello more often now.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

Outstanding plates, Brad!
points.gif

Looks really good.
You mentioned that the ribs were a bit on the salty side. Were these cryovaced ribs or were they by chance something that was like "hormel brand" or one of the other ones that were enhanced. The reason I ask is because the ones that are enhanced usually are really salty.

Just curious

HA!! Burn barrel . . . bet they won't be calling it that anymore.
biggrin.gif

That was nice of you to share your ribs with them anyway.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The chicken breast looked pretty good as well.

Dave

Funny thing, The package says 100% natural no artificial ingredients or hormones. But upon inspecting the ingredients list water and salt are added.
This explains why the ribs were salty and the chicken wasnt. They were tyson brand from wal-mart.
mad.gif

Just awsome looking.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks great nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
lucky neighbors

Both look Great... for being cooked in a "Burn Barrel" LOL...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Wow! Nothing wrong with that smoke...those BBs, talk about a smoke ring, dude!!!!!!!!

Very nice all the way, the chix plated up looks fantastic, too.

Keep that drum warm, 'cause the two of you make a good team!

Thanks for the drool-view!

Eric

That was a great Smoke that you turned out. Gotta be careful now. When the neighbors get a hint of your thin blue hickory smoke they'll magically appear at your side.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanks for the great q-view.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

If you have a Sam's Club near by, they have some good ones there. They are in a plain cryovaced package without the enhancements.
Just about all of the packages that have a "branded" name on them are enhanced.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky