First attempt of smoking fresh trout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baddurango

Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
New Castle, Delaware
Hey all gonna try to smoke some fresh trout this weekend, was wonder about any brines of rubs that you would recommend as well as cooking temperatures and temperatures it should when is done. thanks

Good luck.

I've heard of folks brining their trout and smoking them with a very mild wood.

Shouldn't take very long so long as you keep the temp down.

Alton Brown smoked a salmon (seems it was smoked in a cardboard box)...ought to work for trout too.

Hey there Baddurrango. I do my trout with 2 litres of water 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup kosher or sea salt, and a little garlic or whatever you like. I normally used a maple or hickory smoke. I like mine done around 155-160. Enjoy smoked trout is great

Follow the above brine... Then I let mine dry & sprinkle with salt & pepper.

Use a mild wood & don't oversmoke. You really need super thin blue smoke for this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky