First Attempt at Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vic81

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Marietta, GA
Hey everyone,

I decided to give smoking salmon a shot - this will be my first run at it, any words of advice??

I picked up a fairly large cut at Sams Club, no skin.  From what I have been reading, I need to hit 140 degrees internal temp, which should be 1 to 1.5 hours or so at 225.  Because I don't have skin on the fish I was planning on putting it on aluminum foil, sprayed with oil.  

I plan to coat the fish with olive oil, add cinnamon and brown sugar to the top while in the smoker.  I will not be using a cedar plank.  I'll also be smoking baby back ribs, and a fatty at the same time.

So, what do you think??  Anything I should know or do to make it turn out awesome?!?!?

Thanks in advance!

I get the same salmon at Sam's. We like cajun flavor, so we rub it with EVOO, then a liberal dusting with Tones cajun spice( also from Sam's ). I trim it up a little sort of like a rectangle. Cutting off the thinner belly and tail parts. They get done quicker and give you a little snack while you wait for the big piece to get done. I put it directly on the grates, make sure to oil the grates so it won't stick. I don't use a probe to check it with, it is done when you can flake it apart. It usually takes about an hour and a half to cook @ 225, so around 1:20 I'll start checking it. You don't want to overcook salmon, it will get dry. You need a big wide spatula when it's done, because it will break apart if you try to pick it up. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky