First attempt at pickling sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walking dude

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 5, 2007
Des Moines, IOWA
okay folks, we've been talking about it, and i finally did it..........

first shot is of the fixin's

thefixingsec4.jpg

i have apple cider vinegar, a hot wax top of cutting board, 2 small sweet nanners, half a large onion, recipe called for a small one, but had this one in fridge to use up. 14oz keilbasa, recipe called for 2 lbs, but used what i had, so i made do with half a pack of hotdogs, crushed red pepper flakes i made myslef from our garden. pickling spice. 10 drops of red food coloring

put 2 wide mouth canning jars in boiling water to heat up. Boiled up the liquids (don't worry folks, recipe to follow....
cool.gif
). after they reached boiling point, simmered for 5 minutes. Packed the hot jars fresh outta the water, with some onion on the bottom and then layered the peppers, more onions, hot dogs, sausage, till almost to the top. Poured half of the simmering liquid in the jars. This was not enuff liquid, so i topped off with more vinegar. Took the HOT jar lid outta the boiling water, and placed on top. make SURE the lid is wiped clean. THIS A IMPORTANT STEP, cause the vinegar will degrade the rubber seal on the jar lid. Placed the ring ontop, and twisted down tite. Will wait for the jars to kewl down, then refridge for couple days at least. From what i read, the longer it sits, the better it gets.

Final shot

finishedproductri4.jpg

Recipe:
2 lbs pre-cooked keilbasa (or what ever you want to use, but must have been either cooked at the factory, or you will have to do so. Once i get back to sausage making, will be using my own!)

1 small onion sliced

1 cup water

3/4 cup brwn sugar

3 cups vinegar of your choice

1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes ( i used a tablespoon)

1 tbl pickling spices.

Thats the recipe i pulled off the web, but changed it up abit, as in adding food coloring. Found that in another recipe. Plus i added the peppers since we got em out our arse atm in the garden.

any question, please ask

d88de

in the bars............sitting right beside the pickled eggs.

the bar (pub), i used to hang out at, they were called HOT MOMMA"S.......EXCELLANT...

we've been talking about this idea for several days curious. guess you missed those threads.............

i found at least a dozen recipes online for doing this...............

everything i have read on it, anywhere from at least 2 days, to a week, before trying em............doubt i wait a week..........LOLOLOL

like i said, i guess, longer they sit, better they get............

no reason for em not to turn out great.........maybe a bit hotter than i want, with the addition of the crushed red pepper flakes, and the hot wax peppers........

That looks good Steve. You know you have to bring some to the next gathering, right?

I'll make it down there one of these days. Oh, and tell Buzz he needs to bring some of those pickled peppers too. Hmmm, you call those things Hot Mommas? If that was that pic you sent me, I changed my mind, I don't want any!!!

NICE Dude!! Be sure ta post again after ya try em.....Very interested in how hot they get.
biggrin.gif

you know everyone ...this project if you wanted to do is very cheap to buy eveything , not a real expensive treat if you ask me...can't wait to see dude..
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

yeah mike..........cheap AND simple........first time "I" ever canned anything...........if i can do it, even MOSSYMO can do it...........LOLOLOLOL

Why?! If everyone had that attitude we wouldn't even be eating sausage. "Hey lets grind some meat and spices, stuff it all in a pigs gut, hold it over wood smoke for awhile, then eat it"----Why?

there are some penroses recipes out there i saw.........and this is similar........i just had to add the D88DE touch........LLOLOLOL

as the old tony curtis and jack lemmon movie title was, "Some Like it Hot"

lololol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky