First attempt at a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bombo80

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Bloomington
I found an overnight, 24 hours, smoke process for brisket. Thanks to okjsmoker, for that, or whomever he got it from. I really like the idea of letting it do it's thing, while I'm sleeping.

I stopped by sammy's club and got a whale of a 14 pound brisket. It was the only one they had in the meat case. I also got a double pack of pork ribs too. I'll smoke them later this weekend.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I forgot my camera, but I was able to get one picture of it, just as I put it in the smokehouse. I'll post it tonight, along with some other "after" smoke pics too
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I started the smokehouse when I got home, set it for ~170*. I bought a new digital thermometer. I got it on sale at targetto for $17. I wanted another one, so I could check my Maverick ET-7. I have a flaky probe, and I'm not sure which one is right. I also needed to double check the thermostat on the
house, to make sure my dial mark is set in the right position.

Speaking of flaky probes, I finally found replacements at Allied Kenco, for $12.50. Not bad considering the unit costs $60.

I trimmed off some of the fat, from the brisket. Just to make the fat layer even. Then slathered it with mustard, and then my recipe dry rub. Inserted the probe into the thickest part of the brisket, and put it in the house. I also put an aluminum pan under it to catch any juices. After that I stoked up my hotplate, and hickory sawdust. I kept adding more sawdust through the evening. I figure I got a good 4+ hours of smoke put to it. I then pulled it out, and placed it in the pan, and sealed it shut, and put it back in the smokehouse. The house was maintaining a temp of 170 - 175, and the internal temp on the brisket was ~110, when I sealed it up for the night.

This morning the IT was ~165, so I turned up the house into the 195 - 200 range, to let it finish cooking for the next 12 hours. Looking for an IT of 180, so I can pull it, wrap it in blankets/towels, and let it rest for an hour, or two. Then I'll slice it up. I can hardly wait.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to do with the juices, as far as adding anything to it, or whatever. Anybody have any suggestions ??

Thanks, and I'll post my pics tonight when I get home.

Later

Bombo

You guys got to calm down

PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif

I'm still at work, and probably won't get home for another 4+ hours.

icon_sad.gif

Then I'll get to play with the brisket, and take more pics. But then It has to rest for a couple hours, so any finished, sliced pics will have to wait until late tonight.

Rest assured, I will take plenty of pics,and get them posted. Just not anytime soon.

Sorry
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif

Bombo
biggrin.gif

After another 12 hrs cooking you expect that beef to only be at 180??
Even at 200* i figure that thing will be at 250+.......hope im wrong or missing something, good luck!

house temp is only set low enough where I don't think there will be a problem. Besides, it's only 30* here today, and there is snow flurries in the air too. My house seems to maintain a move even temp when it's this cold out.

Believe me, I'm just as excited to get home and check on it. The good thing now is, I'm going out after work, for a bump with the boys. That way I hope I can get home in about 2 more hours. I wish I had something setup, so I could look at my thermometers, from work. That might be next, who knows.

If it happens to be to high to slice, I'll just pull it then.

Alright guys, Here's the pics from my first brisket. I think it turned out pretty good, for the first one ever. I now know what I would do different, on my next one. I'll probably remove most of the fat, and might try and sear it too. Also, I was amazed that the IT of the brisket actually was hotter than the house temp, when I got home. I pulled it at 192*, then let it rest for 2 hours, and then it was still 170*.

All in all, I think it turned out great.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Even though I wasn't able to sliced the whole thing. I got about a 50 / 50 mix of slices, and pulled beef.

I also cooled the juices, and removed the fat. Then heated that up, and reduced it by 1/3. Tastes great.

Everybody have a great Turkey day.

Bombo
37ec71dd_vbattach15736.jpg

429bb344_vbattach15735.jpg

692af0fd_vbattach15734.jpg

f5a88012_vbattach15733.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky