Firs Smoke Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gros cochon

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Good morning folks,

Day off today, so fired the WSM for the first time this morning to to a 6 pound butt. I read here that it would run hot for the first few smokes. It is burning stable at 275 for the last 3 hrs with all bottom vents closed. I'm using Maple Leaf lump with sugar maple chunks, with a full water pan. Am I OK at these temps, or is there a way to bring it down a little. Just want to make sure I don't screw up my first butt. Have a great day.

On my new WSM I closed the bottom vents when it got close to 200...

It seems to be holding around 225-240 now.

I also am not using water..got a 12 inch clay pot saucer in it.

Let it cool down some..

Good luck!!

Craig

Last edited:
Eventually with the bottom vents closed it will begin to cool down. It sounds like you started too big a fire in the beginning. I usually fill the ring up with a mixture of charcoal & about 6 or 7 wood chunks all unlit. Then put 8-10 lit briquettes in a pile in the middle. When the temp get to 180 I start shutting the bottom vents down, when it gets to 200 I shut 2 of them completely and leave the third one open about 20%. You may have to adjust the 3rd one a little after that but it should begin to stabilize in the 220's.

Eventually with the bottom vents closed it will begin to cool down. It sounds like you started too big a fire in the beginning. I usually fill the ring up with a mixture of charcoal & about 6 or 7 wood chunks all unlit. Then put 8-10 lit briquettes in a pile in the middle. When the temp get to 180 I start shutting the bottom vents down, when it gets to 200 I shut 2 of them completely and leave the third one open about 20%. You may have to adjust the 3rd one a little after that but it should begin to stabilize in the 220's.
When do you put the guru to work???

Craig

Thanks for the replies guys. It is now stable at 225. I started with a full ring of lump with a coffee can in the middle, and then dropped a 1/3 weber chimney of lit lump in the middle. Does it sound about right or should I do it differently next time.

Thanks

When do you put the guru to work???

Craig

I start the guru as soon as I start the coals. The guru will take it up to the set temp & on the way the little computer inside will learn how to regulate the temp by how fast it rises & how much air it is supplying. On mine I close the vent on the blower down to about 25% when it gets around 180-200. It will slow it down & keep it from overshooting the temp to far. It will probably overshoot it by 10-15 degrees anyway, but it will come right back down. The longer the smoke the steadier the guru gets.

Thanks Al!!!

Sounds like you are doing good GC!!!

The temp on mine is up and down some and I didn't put enough chunks in...

Won't take many tries to nail it.

I am having fun, hope you are too!!

Craig

Sounds like you got the temp handled GC. Are you using any sort of thermometers for the meat or the smoker? I just smoked my first butt this last weekend on the WSM and it was great.

Best of luck to ya! 

Good Luck
icon14.gif

Sounds like you got the temp handled GC. Are you using any sort of thermometers for the meat or the smoker? I just smoked my first butt this last weekend on the WSM and it was great.

Best of luck to ya! 
Yep, temps are steady at 230-240. Butt temp is at 178 now. Boy am I hungry! Using two mavericks, 1 in the meat, and 1 on the grill. The stock therm is pretty accurate within a few degrees. Hope it'll be good.

Perfect. Sounds like we use the same setup. My butt last week hit some major stalls. I just though I would let you know, just be patient with it, don't peak and let it roll. It will come out great. Are you planning on resting it in a cooler after? Any finishing sauce? 

Perfect. Sounds like we use the same setup. My butt last week hit some major stalls. I just though I would let you know, just be patient with it, don't peak and let it roll. It will come out great. Are you planning on resting it in a cooler after? Any finishing sauce? 
I've done pulled pork in the oven often, and experienced stalls in the 180 degree range, so I was expecting it. I will try Soflaquer's finishing sauce, it sounds yummy!

Thanks Al!!!

Sounds like you are doing good GC!!!

The temp on mine is up and down some and I didn't put enough chunks in...

Won't take many tries to nail it.

I am having fun, hope you are too!!

Craig
Hey Craig,

How many chunks did you put in? I put 6, and now there's very little smoke comming out the top vent. It's been 5 1/2 hours. Wonder if should add more.

I shook the coals and added chunks several times.

Started with 4 or 5.

Heck yeah ...put more in!!!!

Craig

Success! After 10 hours, 8 pounds of lump, a six pack & a few headaches, here it is boys. My first Q view. Thanks to all who helped me today.

a568bf1d_P1030063.jpg

03877524_P1030066.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky