Fire in UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brgbassmaster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Arizona
Just curious if anyone else has the same problem as me in their UDS. I start my fire and when i drop the coals in my fire is usually at like 315 degrees so i damper it down until it gets in between the 250-275 range. Now i have awesome TBS. Once i go to put my meat in all the heat leaves and all the sudden i have this gray smoke that takes forever to go away. Whats up with that. can anyone explain this? Thanks. 

When you get the heat down to what you want, do you open the valves a bit to keep the fire at that temp? Or do you keep the valves as you left them to get the temp down? If the latter, then you may be suffocating the fire.

Ya i just leave them at what i had them at right before i opened. So i guess i should just open them back up again then bring the temp down. I guess that wouldn't be a big deal for a big hunk of meat like a butt or brisket. Or just throw on right away and bring temp down. Because it seems to only take about 30 min to bring down to temp. Guess ill try one of those things next time.

It's better to bring the temp up slowly, than to start off too high, and have to bring it back down again...

I usually start the coals outside my UDS, then let them get a little bit of heat in them, then move to the UDS with all valves open, and wait for the heat inside to reach near what I want it to be, and I'll gradually close the valves down until I see the heat slows down.

Nothing to input, just lurking. Going to build one to give to my dad and I am sure a question like this will be asked. So might as well learn now.......

I am kind of new to this so please double check me.  Most people I see starting charcoal for a smoker use a small amount about a dozen or so for lighting.  When these are lit in the chimney then you add them to the rest of the charcoal.  The small amount of charcoal slowly burns the others slowly bringing up your temp.  

Just curious if anyone else has the same problem as me in their UDS. I start my fire and when i drop the coals in my fire is usually at like 315 degrees so i damper it down until it gets in between the 250-275 range. Now i have awesome TBS. Once i go to put my meat in all the heat leaves and all the sudden i have this gray smoke that takes forever to go away. Whats up with that. can anyone explain this? Thanks. 
The procedure which works best for me is to place the coals in your basket and then into the UDS followed by the meat you will be smoking...Then adjust your dampers to your desired temperature level. 

Each time you lift the lid your adjusted temperature level becomes shot and then you have to "re-fiddle" with the dampers.

Set it once and then check on it from time to time.  Avoid the temptation of lifting the lid until you absolutely have to.

I hope this helps...Good Luck,  John

I start my coals outside like everyone else but when i put my charcoal basket into my uds i usually just leave 2 vents open so the temp raises slower and i dont pass it. If you pass your temp to me its much more difficult to cool it down then it is to raise it.

Hello BRG.  Spam, eggs and rice at McDonalds??  Not gonna find THAT everywhere!  
icon_lol.gif
  Please excuse me, I confuse easily ( age thing ) Are you adding a whole chimney to a charcoal basket with unlit charcoal, or is it just the whole lit chimney you are using to cook?  I suspect you are adding to unlit basket.  That whole chimney starts coals around it and the temp rises quickly.  Then when you open the lid and hit it with oxygen TONS of charcoal gets ignited causing the white heavy smoke.  I would start with less in the chimney and add the meat earlier.  When you start the chimney pull your cooking grills out of the smoker.  Place your meat on the grills and wait until the smoker reaches 180-190 with vents fully open.  Then someone helping makes it easier.  Have them open the lid and you put in the cooking grills quickly and then close the lid.  If no help, do it as fast as you can.  The temp should start to rise quickly because of the oxygen rush but the cold meat will help. Fully open vents and exhaust up to this point.  Now as the temp starts to get closer to cooking temp start shutting down the intakes until the smoker levels off at the right temp.  As stated above I find it easier to slow down the rising temp rather than try to starve the fire of air flow to bring the temp down.  Just my opinion for what it's worth.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky