Fire Grilled Carne Asada & Roasted Poblano Quesadillas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mooseman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Encino, CA
Got some USDA Choice Flap meat from Costco, and put in my special marinade for 2 days:

Fired up the Kingsford Oval, placed hot coals to one side, and threw in a piece of oak. Covered grill, cooked meat indirect for 15 mins on cool side of grill to get some smoky goodness in the meat:

Now, time to finish meat off direct with a nice hot sear:

Meanwhile, fired up the gas grill for some grilled poblano quesadillas:

Pulled meat off grill:

Cut it up:

Time to make a burrito. Topped with cilantro, fresh pico de gallo, and hot salsa roja:

It was delicious!

Looks great, a meal worthy of going out to order a plate of it it looked so good.
Did you make the pico yourself?
Love pico and am always interested in trying different recipes.

Yes, it was homemade:

Fresh Roma San Marzanos from the garden
Fresh Jalapenos from the garden
Cilantro
Onion
Salt
Pepper
Fresh squeezed lime juice

Dang Moose that's a fine looking meal you've cooked up there.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Pretty similar to the one I use actually, guess pico recipes don't vary too much.
Basically only thing I do differently is add a little garlic, touch of white vinegar and occasionally I will toss in some serrano with the jalapeno.
Gotta run out soon, now you've got me wanting pico with something, hell even by itself, I could eat a bowl of it. Thanks for the dinner idea
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Great looking meal - I pretty much use the same Pico recipe but do add some garlic. I like garlic in everything LOL

Jeanie,

That's the second time in a week you've complimented my choice of words. I'm flattered...and blushing ever so slightly.
icon_redface.gif

WOW is all I can say on that meal. But I wish I could sit back in my chair and say that was so good and kick back in your living room. But I couldn't so you did a great job on it too. Do you think I could get that recipe for the meat since you were already shared the pico recipe with us.

It's quite simple, and this is pretty much the same exact thing you get in Mexican markets from their meat counters:

Orange juice
Cilantro
Onion
Scallions
Lawry's Seasoning Salt

Sprinkle seasoning salt liberally on meat, then pour in some OJ into a pan, then place onions, scallions, and cilantro to cover, then put in one layer of meat, then repeat process for each layer of meat. Let marinate for at least 24 hours, 48 is even better. About halfway during the marinade, I flip the meat so the top layer is on the bottom and it gets a nice soaking in the OJ.

I'd love to see some pics if any of you decide to try this!

Congrats to you my friend, you know how to make a simple yet tasty dish. I should have known you're from SoCal, although many others from different states share your good taste.

That looks great!! I found an oval Kingsford charcoal grill like your on the street for garbage. It looks like new and it has been the best charcoal grill I have ever had. I use it almost exclusively and I have very large stainless grill from Sam's club.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky