fire box burn time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jokerswild!

Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
So I just about have my smoker done. I had ordered a charcoal basket- but when it came it was 12x12x8. i did a mod to get a full 12x12x12 basket in addition to adding the 3 inch legs.

So with a square basket I can JUST get in.... a 17.6 lb bag of lump coal. . Im running a weber lid and and a sliding vent on the bottom. I may add a ball valve for windy days.

so what kind of run time can I get out of that in the 225-240 range? Hoping 12. Praying for more for those BIG briskets.

Any thoughts appreciated.

That's not out of the question, how well it's insulated or how well it holds heat inside the cook chamber will tell the tale.

Reactions: jcam222
12 should be easy at those temps using lump.

I always used a good quality brick in my drums for more even temps throughout the cook. If you dump some lit bricks on the unlit and let it come up to temp I would think 14 to 15 hours is realistic.

Thats interesting. I thought most guys were loving lump in these units. I was able clean out my local big box store this winter, at 3 bucks a bag for lump...so I have ALOT of lump. Alot. Like 110 gallons... so yeah... lump it is!

Reactions: Johnny Ray
UDS smoker. i thought I posted to the UDs forum??
You did.... I just missed that. I super-sized my baskets a few years ago and now they are 15" diameter X 10" tall. I can easily get 12 hours burn time at 275° - 300°, and at 250° I can get 16 or so hours. I used to use all lump coal, but now I use a few layers of Kingsford Long Burning which mellows out the fire and does not make as much ash as regular briquettes do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky