Finishing smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dovibbqjunkie

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I am getting ready to finish my smoker build in the next few weeks. I have one question though, can run heat through the smoker before painting? I was told that paint will not adhere to the metal once heated. My smoker is fully insulated cabinet smoker. With it getting warm, I am just getting anxious to see how it preforms before it gets painted.

dave

No paint on the inside, I am asking about painting the outside. Can I run heat through the smoker before painting. I understand that it will need to be cleaned of oils and etc, before paint, but someone told me that paint will not adhere to metal if I run heat through the smoker before painting. I will prime it then paint.

Not true, We do a test run on all we have built to see if we need to make any changes before pianting

Gary

I understand that it will need to be cleaned of oils and etc, before paint, but someone told me that paint will not adhere to metal if I run heat through the smoker before painting. I will prime it then paint.

If that was true you wouldn't be able to weld the smoker together. The only thing you risk is getting the exterior surface dirty from the combustion process. Which once cleaned you will be able to paint.

The insulated one we built you could lay your had on it

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky