Finishing Sauce VS. BBQ Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 17, 2009
Helena, MT
Okay so here is a newbie question for y'all. I did my first butt this weekend and was looking at trying a finishing sauce. I tried this one, http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=74635
Looking at Jeffs finishing sauce it looked like a pretty liquid type sauce, the one I did ended up a little thicker due to the ketchup. So do you use finishing sauce as a bbq sauce or what?
Thanks for the help in advance.

I think you can do either one. I like a vinegar sauce anyway so I'll use a good vinegar finishing sauce as my sauce. If some want to use a regular sauce like southflaquers mustard based then that's ok too. Personally, I would not sauce all my meat but let the folks eating decide if they want some or not. Just my .02.

I think it's a personal preference to how you, or others, want to eat their q. For example, the finishing sauce is sometimes enough on it's own. To others (like myself) I'd probably add finishing sauce and bbq sauce, 'cause I like my sammie dripping with sauce
icon_lol.gif

I make a finishing sauce that enhances the pork. I call it pig sauce but it's good on chicken as well. Let me know if you 'd like the recipe. Vinegar and ketchup based but you cook it down to desired thickness. Takes me about 2 hours to simmer it down to my liking. Onions, garlic, beef broth and hot sauce are used, along with a few spices. Dang good stuff.
cool.gif

I like to serve the sauces on the side. A good finishing sauce slopped all over a pulled pork sandwich is great. Sometime just a quick lather of homemade BBQ sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky