Finished pictures of the beast smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well BSTORDAHL and I worked hard Saturday and Sunday and finally got the smoker done. Well not totally done. All I have left is to put the tile in the floor, install ventilation and install my thermometers. It turned out really nice I think other than it is WAY to heavy! It takes three of us to lay it down and set it back up. I was hoping to install casters on the back and lug it around my yard with the handles I installed on the top but there is no chance that is happening. My next thought is to permanently mount it to a little trailer that I never use. This way I can move it around my yard depending on the wind and where I want to smoke also when we make sausage at my parents house I can bring it up there. This week I will hopefully get everything finished and season it then next weekend I plan on making 37lbs of pulled pork, Lamb roast and hopefully a fatty or two and some smoked egg. Here is the Photo Bucket link to the pictures. Thanks for looking.
http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/y...nstner/Smoker/

DanJ I can give you some rough dimensions but the truth is it was just an old crate and we had to building around it. It was kind of a pain because nothing is really square so it was an adventure. From what I can remember right now the inside chamber dimensions are roughly 32in wide by 32 in deep and around 8 ft tall.

cool I was wondering about if they need to be lined like that I see yours is. thanks for the info any and all is always a big help and always welcomed.

Smoker turned out very nice. If its as heavy as you say, I agree, you should secure it somehow. Maybe that trailer you mentioned. Would hate to see a strong wind blow that bad boy over. Good job.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I don't think any wind is going to move that thing. Two guys were pulling on the back of the smoker by the handles to try and tip it on its back and we couldn't move it. A third guy had to go on the other side and push just to tip it. I mainly want it on the trailer so I can move it from the back of my yard where it is usually windy to my driveway. But we will have to see maybe my trailer isn't heavy duty enough.
Does anyone know of any cocking that would be save to put inside the smoker and not hurt the food so I can seal up a few things?

It sure looks like you did a great job on that smoker with some nice craftmanship for sure. I see that the tin you lined it with wasn't galvinized after all. I hope it works well for you too. The only thing I think that would look better is some really thin blue flowing out of the top

I still don't know if it is galvanized tin or not? No one that has looked at it seems to know how to tell. One guy said it was but I don't think he really knew.

Good looking rig, what kind of burner is that?

If you have some scraps of that tin and can take a grinder/file to the surface you may be able to tell if it is galvanized.

Looks like it may be.

As far as caulk for "things you need to seal up" There are "food grade" silicone caulks available on the net. I used a good grade of silicone II that had a USDA approval (located in the fine print on the back) It is good up to about 500 degrees. I used clear and bought it at my local hardware store

There is a high temp silicone available as well, I think it is only available in orange and has a heat rating of like 900. It did not have a USDA approval so i did not use it.

Yea I took those pictures before I cut the vents in. I have four vents on the bottom two on each side and then to exit vents on the top in the back of the smoker.

Looks nice. I have been planning on doing this for the past two years and am still in the planning stages. a few questions.....

Did you insulate the side walls at all?
I am thinking about doublewalling it and trying to figure out what the best insulation would be to use inbetween.

Is that galvanized steel on the inside?
I am thinking of using stainless steel sheet metal for mine.

Are you using propane as your heat source?
I am thinking of both propane, and a wood burner heat box on the side with a double wall flu pipe hooking the two together.

Is you water pan going on the bottom shelf?

How are you going to be burning your wood?

Where did you cut your vents in at?

Did you use any kind of special vent? ie. closable one?

Do you plan on treating the outside somehow? paint or polyurethane?

Are you using the tile as a heat shield for the floor?
I am thinking that is a wide choice along with wook shavings to absorb the juices.

Looks great.

I plan on doing a 3'x3'x6' to kind of match my house. using a cultured stone wainscoat, and hardiplank siding on the outside, and a sheetmetal roof. Mine will be permenant on my patio outback. If I can I want to run electric to it for a light on the outside and if i can figure out a way to put a light inside somehow, and maybe a outlet for a backup electric platewarmer.

Nice work

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky