Finished my UDS. My Lid Modification Story

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thunderdome

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Casa Grande, AZ
Here is where it began. Closed Zep drum. Torched out the top, and welded the lip of a disc blade to the outside....I thought it was going to work
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=86902

Fast forward to this past friday. We worked on this lid more, filling in the gaps, adding smoke stack, and a strap across the top which was also the handle. This thing was U.G.L.Y. and it DID NOT SEAL. Too much heat, thin metal on thick metal just warped it.

So after plenty of cold beverages and feeling defeated, I loaded up my Zep drum and lid, and took the drum home.

Prior to all this work, I had only tested my Weber kettle lid on an OPEN drum. It didn't fit, which lead me to making that homemade lid.

I then thought to just try the kettle lid on the Zep drum I had just brought home......it fit. (trying to show you my level of intelligence here) God forbid I tested the Kettle lid on the actual drum I had started working on
icon_mrgreen.gif

I quickly hid all evidence of the previous monstrosity of a lid, and picked up a $40 Uniflame kettle from Walmart. Tried the lid, and it was close, but not as close as the Weber. I flattened the lip around the lid, and as you'll see below, I tapped it back down to fit the drum. Anyhow, it's finished with a sealing lid, and running fine. I posted my first smoke on it in the beef section. Here's the build pics:

My dad found a metal frame which was once used as a GOTT water jugg holder on an irrigators truck. He also got me some expanded metal, and we wrapped it around the frame and welded (overkill, I know)

Welded four pieces of strap to the bottom as legs, and used a row marker (looks like a smaller disc blade) to the bottom of that as the ash pan

Finished pic of basket, holds A LOT of charcoal/lump

Instead of 3 or 4 3/4" inputs at the bottom of the barrel, I went with two 1" inputs. One to be ball valved, and one to be capped off

Hardware (stainless steel 1/4x2 bolts) and handles installed

While seasoning, here's the Kettle Lid Modification

Needs a paint job, and some wheels, but here it is chuggin along

You definately went all-out on the Ugly part of UDS. Nice build. I'm headdin to walmart to get me one of those cheap azz grills. i want a domed lid so I can ad a second rack... good job again
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

So i went with your idea for the cheap lid and had to take it a bit further...
I used the hinges from the grill and got them to work on the UDS with a few homemade spacers made from 1/4 copper tubing..

I mixed up the hardware and used the 4 longer bolts for the lid hinge halves..

I added som more bolts for the upper grate, istalled the handle and the damper and walla!.. a bi-level UDS...

The builds are always the best when their done. Yours looks great and ready for some real smokin.

I finally sanded/and painted my UDS. All that's left is mounting my temp gauge.

The recent storm we had put a layer of rust on the outside that gave it a nice AGCO orange look. It took 2+ hours to get it off

Here it is after 2 coats of Hi Temp rustoleum. Right now at Lowes they have 15 ounce cans for the same price as 12 ounce cans (25% more special)

Thanks, We got a hell of a storm, so I didn't have an excuse not to paint it after the rust took over the outside. I should have taken a picture of it before grinding.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky