Finish Temp ? for Corned Beef (Eye of Round)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

freshmeat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I snagged two eye of rounds at major discount, that were commercially processed in same way as a brisket cut for corned beef.

I soaked and changed water, doing a fry test to determine the salt level was OK, then rubbed and wrapped overnight.

I was set in my brain taking it to 165*, foil and run up to 195-200* from reading all of the pastrami threads. As I am getting unit up to temp, I began thinking my finish temps are way to high for this cut. I would like to let it cool and slice.

I need some advice.

Thanks.

Being a lot leaner, I don't think I would go that high either. My best guess would be around 180. Likely you will need to do tenderness tests when you get around that area, and keep going until you get what you want.

When doing pastrami, even ones made from brisket, you don't really need to go that high in your temps, due to the fact that the meat was cured it will be a lot more tender and can be pulled earlier, 200-205 IMO would be way too high of a temp and could dry out your meat, especially using an eye of round since they are so lean.
I would say 170-180, I pull mine off at 170, cool overnight and reheat with steam the next day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky