Finally got a meat grinder!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I’ve been smoking meats, grilling etc for years now. In the last year, I’ve really gotten into cured meats like pastrami and bacon. Well, for my birthday, I received a Kitchenaid mixer and of course the first attachment I got was a meat grinder!

Besides burgers, I really want to start making sausages, both cured and fresh. Fresh hot and Italian are probably going to be my first projects, but I REALLY want to learn how to make pepperoni, lonzo, salami and prosciutto. I think I’ll spend some time on the sausage maker site, and I’ve been reading through the sausage threads. But I know nothing about curing chambers, bactoferm, umai, things like that that I’ve skimmed through and read about on the surface.

So time to dig in and start reading, but as always I like to lean on the folks in this forum who have been there and done that. Any and all tips, ideas, suggestions on good starting places, or absolute must-haves, would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I think the best add-on gear for me thus far was a footpedal. Not sure if you can use one with the Kitchenaide, but I've found mine to be immensely helpful when working alone so the grinder isn't constantly going (keeping the auger temperature down a bit and meaty hands from touching everything) when you're moving tubs, grabbing stuff out of the fridge, or if you'll be stuffing with your grinder until you get a stuffer (which is the boat I'm in).
IMG_7674.jpeg

Reactions: 73saint
I bought a 7 pound vivo with the metal gears from Amazon. Pretty happy with it. Find the price range you are comfortable with but I can't over recommend get the metal gears. Stay away from the plastic!

If snack sticks are in your future as well as sausage... I would recommend a 5 lb stuffer with metal gears and a small (3/8' - 1/2") tube...
Yeah jckDan, I defintely want to make snack sticks so that’s great info as well!

Good advice so far.

2 things from me...

1. Yes stuffer is the way to go JUST make sure you get one that does more than what you intend to stuff. For example if you tend to stuff 5 pounds at a time get a 7 pound stuffer. Those things always lie about their capacity, they really fit like 1 pound less (or more as you get larger) than what they claim. I bought a 10L (22-23 pound) stuffer so I could stuff 20 pounds in 1 shot which HUGE when you are doing 100lbs or more in a go. Also +1 here on the all metal gears.

2. For cured and dried sausage look up UMAI Dry. They make it to where you don't need a curing chamber. You just ferment at a controllable 65-70F temp or so for a few days. Seems most people do it in their closet lol. Then you put the sausage in a fridge until it hits the desired weight reduction. A garage fridge would be great for this. No need for a curing chamber, humidity, controls, etc. etc. etc.

I hope this info helps! :)

Man I'm getting to the point that every thread I read is motivating me to get into this too.

Warren
But I’m running out of counter space!!! And I’ve never been so organized just trying to keep things neat and not cluttered.

But I’m running out of counter space!!! And I’ve never been so organized just trying to keep things neat and not cluttered.

Hahhaaha, garage shelving is your friend :)
Just keep the box for everything and put it back in the box and then on the garage shelves. That is where my grinder, stuffer, slicer, and vacuum sealer and all the related supplies live when I am not using them :)

One part of my basement looks like a meat appliance store. Grinders, stuffer, sealer, Sous vide, etc.... My wife just laughs. She's given up trying to rein me in.

73S, You are on your way to a great new hobby.I started by picking up one item at a time. That was a long time ago and now my toys take up a whole seville shelf in the basement ! As others have said a stuffer with metal gears is the way to go,I have a 20# for big jobs and a 5# for snack sticks. The 5# works well just needs to be repacked when stuffing more than 4 pounds.

73S, You are on your way to a great new hobby.I started by picking up one item at a time. That was a long time ago and now my toys take up a whole seville shelf in the basement ! As others have said a stuffer with metal gears is the way to go,I have a 20# for big jobs and a 5# for snack sticks. The 5# works well just needs to be repacked when stuffing more than 4 pounds.
I've been watching videos and reading a ton. It does in fact seem that while the kitchenaid grinder will do, I certainly see a stuffer on the horizon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky