Finally got a couple nice butts just right

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gruelurks

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Oakland County, MI
After my 4th or 5th try, using the tips on this forum, I finally nailed a perfect smoked pork butt in my MES. We had a charity fundraiser event to raise money for a local food bank so I volunteered to bring pulled pork. I did five 8-10# butts in my MES over two days, and they came out perfect! I used Bone Suckin' Sauce rub on them and let them sit in the fridge overnight tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. In the smoker the next day, I used apple wood for the smoke, and a apple juice/cider vinegar/water mixture in the water pan with some sliced raw onion rings to keep it moist. Once they hit 190, I gave them a quick spritz with the cider vinegar/water mixture and let them get up to 200. Pulling them out, I foiled and wrapped in towel, then did the cooler trick for a couple hours. When they came out of the cooler, the fork just went right in an twisted like it was in butter. They practically fell apart just looking at them.

I used a sauce recipe I found over here: http://thepauperedchef.com/2008/08/smoked-pulled-p.html and tripled the recipe to make a bunch of it. I also did a bacon wrapped fatty mixed with mild green chilies, shredded cheddar cheese, wrapped around cream cheese seasoned with some of the rub I used on the pork. I was surprised how quickly that went at the event lol.

Thanks again to all on the forums for your tips and advise, I can't get enough of smoking stuff now, and am already looking for my first side barrel woodc/charcoal smoker.
icon_lol.gif

f4390834_vbattach21379.jpg

12caae90_vbattach21380.jpg

b2665e82_vbattach21381.jpg

404486b5_vbattach21382.jpg

Glad they turned out so well, looks like great pulled pork.

Looks yummo from here. hope all yourpeeps have a good meal and opened their wallets for your cause.

Thanks for all the kind replies. We were able to raise close to $2000 for the charity, which is a local food bank that helps out hungry families here in the Metro Detroit area. Each $1 equals about 3 meals for them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky