Finally Found Fresh Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Stopped by the store ways down and found fresh belly @$3.29lb. This one was just shy of 10lbs. I cut in half skinned it, vac bag and freezer. When i get back from Calif half will be bacon and half Nduja.

Awesome, I've been having trouble finding this myself.  I found a giant case of skinned and frozen ones at restaurant depot, for less than $1.50/lb, but I didn't need that much.  Care to post your nduja recipe?  

Awesome, I've been having trouble finding this myself.  I found a giant case of skinned and frozen ones at restaurant depot, for less than $1.50/lb, but I didn't need that much.  Care to post your nduja recipe?  
The RD by me does not sell fresh belly, only smoked or i would buy a case.

The nduja recipe i cant post because or CW laws. Just google and you will find lots of em.

Rick 3.29 is not bad price. I wish I kept my business account with RD, seeing these prices I miss it. 

Rick 3.29 is not bad price. I wish I kept my business account with RD, seeing these prices I miss it. 
My friend has a food business, he gave me one of his RD cards to use. Good guy.

You can find pork belly at most Asian stores that have a meat section. I also leave the skin on when I cure and smoke pork belly. I remove the skin after smoking and before cutting. I use the smoked pork belly skin for soap broths. They add a lot to ham soups.

I dont mess with the Asian or spanish stores around here because the belly is small between 1-2 lbs chunks

Where do you live. In the Phoenix they are about 4 - 5 pounds each. It looks like they are a half belly. I find that a good size to work with. 

The Asian markets by me,korean, that I have checked, cut the belly up. I think I have to drive a bit to the Chinese market or call up a butcher. I want it for porchetta, so I need the skin.

The Asian markets by me,korean, that I have checked, cut the belly up. I think I have to drive a bit to the Chinese market or call up a butcher. I want it for porchetta, so I need the skin.
Right now in S, Fla. Dont know bout y'all but when i walk into a meat market and it stinks i turn round and walk out. The 50 mile drive to get this belly from a clean butcher was well worth it.

Dont have room for a case from Publix mkt, The RD i go to wont carry fresh belly. Guess the uppidy hoity toity WPB, Miami folks dont want to mess smoking their own belly.

Last edited:
My local Costco just started stocking them for $1.99!!!
I didn't even check mine when I was in there last (though mine two years ago started carrying whole lambs, and still do)... Are they fresh or frozen? I hope mine carries it because then I would try my hand at bacon. but at the prices I've seen near me, I can get some pretty darn good locally smoked commercial bacon for cheaper, with no fuss from me. But if I can at least break even, I like doing things myself.

Right now in S, Fla. Dont know bout y'all but when i walk into a meat market and it stinks i turn round and walk out. The 50 mile drive to get this belly from a clean butcher was well worth it.

Dont have room for a case from Publix mkt, The RD i go to wont carry fresh belly. Guess the uppidy hoity toity WPB, Miami folks dont want to mess smoking their own belly.
Hey nepas I'm in Miami and I haven't had any problems getting the butchers at Publix and Winn Dixie to cut me a piece of belly off of the slab. I've gotten pieces from 2.5 to 7 lbs. All I did was ask.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky