Finally Finally Finally I get to make a Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
I have been wanting to make a prime rib for years but never shelled out the cash for one. Well the in-laws are coming for Xmas and we were talking about prime rib this weekend and I said I would smoke one if they wanted. They jumped on that and said "We'll buy the meat if you smoke it". I jumped all over that suggestion. I can't wait!
One question since I have never made it. How many lb's of meat do you think I need for 6 adults and still have a bit left for leftovers the next day? I was thinking 6 of us could probably finish off a 5 lb one that night so I was thinking if we want leftovers it needs to be 8-10lbs. What do you think?? I'm looking forward to posting this smoke. I can't wait for next Sunday.

I'm good for a pound!

I'm clueless on the real numbers but I'd think you'd be good with what you were figuring. Looking forward to the Q-view

Last edited:
Sounds like a fair estimate, pound per person.

Just remember eating PR is like eating candy. Its hard to stop before the belly is hurting.

short answer: I'd say 1/2 to 1 lb per person is often ample. Some people say a rib per person, but that's often more meat than you need, especially if there are any dainty eaters. That would basically be a rib-eye steak per person. As part of a large meal, that's more meat than many people would need.  There's a lot of meat in between the bones on these babies.  I'm expecting an unknown number of people, so I'm planning a 4 rib roast to start - if a bunch more people end up coming, I have another 4 rib in reserve. I'm also doing a large salmon fillet. Take into account all the other courses and goodies you're planning to serve.  Appetizers? Side dishes? Salads?(who needs a salad @ Xmas!) can affect how much of the heavier entree people eat. I do have family members who will happily ignore ALL other dishes and courses and go the total carnivore route, so I count on some people just pigging out on the good stuff. Especially when it's as good as yours will be. and they'll ALL want some leftovers. My in-laws never make much food for dinner, but boy do they put it away at my house!

Sorry I got all wordy here, but family food is tricky sometimes! 

I would say if you want some leftovers, 10 pounds would be a good number.  If there's four of us, I usually do at least a 6 pound. 

I generally figure a lb per person when I do them plus a little for leftovers or last minute guests

I'm not a big man, 5' 8" 190 and I can put a pound away easily along with sides. I'm a fan of leftovers.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I agree with a pound per person.  No doubt the inlaws will want some leftovers too.

Thanks for the replies guys. They are going to be picking up the meat so I am going to tell them 1 lb a person so at least a 6 lb roast and if they want left overs to get a bigger one. I have never even priced them out but I know its going to be pretty spendy. I will have to head to a few stores today and see what they have.

Last edited:
Normally in my area it runs around 8 bucks a pound. Right now there are stores selling for 3.99. I just picked up a 5 lb roast for 20 bucks.

Holy crap that is cheap. I would fill the freezer at that price. They are on sale here right now for a little under $7 lb depending on which store you go to.

I was telling my wife how so may people on the website were doing Prime Ribs that I was drooling reading all these posts. I Let her know that there would be one in her near future. Well we went to the grocery store on Saturday to pick up stuff for the week and the meat department was loaded with them. Couldn't help but to browse through them. They were on sale for $5.99 a lb., not a great price but not to bad either. Told her I probably would do one the week after Christmas as I am on vacation. While walking through the store we noticed there were coolers of prime rib's of every size everywhere. I know its Christmas but this was kinda crazy. Then we found out that it was Publix's dinner of the week where they give you the recipe for a full meal and have all of the ingredients, etc... layed out together for an easy fix for the family. Prime Rib heaven. Can't wait to try one out myself. Hope yours comes out great and you have a great Holiday with the family. Looking forward to the q-view!

Ak1 that is a great price. Can't find any prime rib here at the local grocery stores. Choice is running 7.99 per lb and select is at 6.99 per lb. Both are a $1.00 higher than last year.

Just got the flyer for Albertsons and they have PR for 3.99 this week - Just did one Sat and am going to have to get more for the freezer for sure. Running out of room - too many good sales right now

The ones in the grocery stores are typically choice grade. Prime grade is usually reserved for high end restaurants. A good quality choice grade is a great cut of meat even if it is called prime rib it's usually not prime grade. Select is about one step up from what they use for pet food. I'd avoid that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky