• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Finally a good brisket

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 30, 2016
Apologies for terrible pictures but I finally got a good brisket. My last 4 or 5 have just not been where I wanted them to be.

Just shy of 11 pounds before trim. Rub was basic salt and pepper with just a little onion and garlic powder. Smoked for just over 4 hours with cherry and hickory between 224-240 degrees. Wrapped in butcher paper for another 3 hours. Allowed to rest on countertop for an hour before wrapping and holding in a cooler for another 2 hours.

It was tender, great taste and relatively juicy. I rested unwrapped on the counter for about an hour until the IT was down to 165 roughly. I really am wondering if that made the difference. Previously I would just wrap with a towel and stick it in the cooler right after I removed it from the smoker. Can’t wait to do another one.

Attachments

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Sure looks good . Nice work .

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 11, 2020
Nice.

Interesting on the resting technique. I keep reading things that are all over the place on that. Wrap in towels in a cooler, unwrap and rewrap in foil, etc. This sounds like a good technique that worked for you.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Awesome from the Bear's Den!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That is a fine looking brisket!
Nicely done!
Al

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looks good and juicy. I always wrap mine in towels in the cooler bit your method sure worked.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Straight from the smoker into the cooler and the brisket will continue to cook which can lead to an overcooked situation. While I don't leave mine open on the counter for an hour, I do leave it there until the IT has started to decline. Usually 5-7º which takes less time. At that point the cooking has stopped and safe to load into the cooler for resting.

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
Nice............ :emoji_thumbsup:

Boykjo

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 30, 2016
Nice.

Interesting on the resting technique. I keep reading things that are all over the place on that. Wrap in towels in a cooler, unwrap and rewrap in foil, etc. This sounds like a good technique that worked for you.
I really think one of my big issues has been sticking it in the cooler too soon. Letting it come down a bit in temp then wrapping and placing it in a cooler to hold may be my preferred method from now on.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I really think one of my big issues has been sticking it in the cooler too soon.
The only one I ever over cooked was perfect before I put it in the cooler with no drop in temp before wrapping .

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
Nice looking brisket..great job..I think you're probably spot on about the issues with your previous briskets, same thing happened to me. Resting unwrapped is key..

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.