UPDATE... FILETTO BACIATTO....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario...
Made four filetto baciatto and now they are smoking at below 40F. .

Sausage mix...
20190313_120534.jpg

Tenderloin ready to be wrapped in sausage mixture..
20190313_121453.jpg

Filetto baciato loaf..
20190313_121739.jpg

Wrapped in collagen sheet.
20190313_122642.jpg

Stuffed in butcher net...
20190313_123206.jpg

Hanging in the smoke house...
20190313_132456.jpg

20190415_151038.jpg

Last edited:
Watching this.

Question, I have never used sheets but bought some. Mine look nothing like yours

Watching this.

Question, I have never used sheets but bought some. Mine look nothing like yours
I've got collagen sheets from Australia.. amazingly fast delivery, 8 days from ordering to delivery ... 19$ australian for pack of 10 sheets...this collagen sheets are very thin and shrink to size as meat dehydrate....

Screenshot_2019-03-13-19-48-17.png

you mean thick as vac bags or.. ?
now when you mentioned vac bags.. I gotta try and see if vacuum sealer will seal collagen sheet.. if it does it would be perfect for making a oversized stuffing casings...

No, mine are very thin, rip easy. Looks like small holes. But in one of your pics looks like veins so I thought maybe what you have is different.

they're very similar to natural hog casings after soaked... very thin and playable....easy to stretch to full size on the table even if you make a ball out of them... I was worried it will come apart after I rolled sausage stuffed tenderloin and pushed meat to compact stuffing but it held surprisingly well.. I am very satisfied the way it came out. .

I thought I replied to this thread....must not have hit the post reply button...

Why are you wrapping with the collagen sheets? What purpose do they serve?
Yes, you did reply with this question but in original post with all four charcuteries I am in process pf making... anyway, here os the answer...
it is cold smoking process so collagen sheet prevents meat surface from drying to fast and closing meat surface pores so smoke will penetrate deeper..

Reactions: daveomak
Yes, you did reply with this question but in original post with all four charcuteries I am in process pf making... anyway, here os the answer...
it is cold smoking process so collagen sheet prevents meat surface from drying to fast and closing meat surface pores so smoke will penetrate deeper..
Ah, makes sense, thanks for the reply.

Copied from Walton's site..... Used like Umai bags...

22 x 24 Collagen Sheets

star_simpleorange.png
star_simpleorange.png
star_simpleorange.png
star_simpleorange.png
star_simpleorange.png
4 Reviews
Ask a question
Typically used for whole muscle meats such as prosciutto, capocollo, pancetta, and dry-cured ham. There are 5 22" x 24" sheets Per Pack.

Reactions: indaswamp
Copied from Walton's site..... Used like Umai bags...
22 x 24 Collagen Sheets

star_simpleorange.png
star_simpleorange.png
star_simpleorange.png
star_simpleorange.png
star_simpleorange.png
4 Reviews
Ask a question
Typically used for whole muscle meats such as prosciutto, capocollo, pancetta, and dry-cured ham. There are 5 22" x 24" sheets Per Pack.
Good price but only if you are in USA... Shipping over to Canada is a killer.. 40.00...Right now CAD is way behind USD...

UPDATE : Light smoking since Wednesday.... 3-4 hrs a day.... cherry wood and light smoking is starting to give away nice colouring...
20190316_233255.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky