Filet Mignon Test

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I keep seeing these taunting me at the butcher shop. We decided to stay in for Valentine’s dinner, and somehow I’m elected to cook. She has a LOW bar for expectations.

I was picking up some ribs to toss in with a ham I’m doing on Saturday. I am still trying to refine my ribs. The always taste good, but not what they could be. While at the shop, I decided that filets are going to be on the valentines’s menu.

I want to add a kiss of smoke. So I set the smoker up at 225, running hickory. I coated the meat lightly with worcestershire and rubbed the steak three hours in advance. I put it into the freezer for a couple of hours to give more time in the smoker. I ran it until 100 IT, pulled it and let it rest for about ten minutes. Then put it on the grill for about four minutes of reverse searing. It came off the grill at 130. I added a dash of resting butter and tented.

We accompanied it with a Oregon blue cheese salad, fresh baked roles, and a Napa red blend. More went right with this experiment than wrong. Next time, I will skip the seasoned butter. It was too much for the gentle taste of filet. The smoke was good, the rub (thanks HalfSmoked HalfSmoked !) was good, and the searing good. It was still a bit raw which puzzles me.

Next time, I’ll let it run a bit longer in the smoker, a bit longer searing, and no seasoned butter.

Any suggestions?

D062A596-CD80-4F82-A970-71D27F92DF70.jpeg

815EC621-2DFB-4552-83DB-FD006D9C0AC2.jpeg

Looks perfectly cooked for my taste and perfect grain cut. Bet it was super tender. I like to rest my steaks on a cutting board doused with garlic olive oil, chopped fresh thyme, chopped fresh rosemary and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Slice the steak on the board and toss. It's a game changer. Heck of a job bud

Looks great to me. I love a lot of moo left in my meat. I’d say that‘s a textbook medium rare. All the meat looks cooked. Doesn’t look like a raw center. Now you’re tempting me to take a run at it.

Reactions: OldSmoke
I like to rest my steaks on a cutting board doused with garlic olive oil, chopped fresh thyme, chopped fresh rosemary and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Slice the steak on the board and toss. It's a game changer. Heck of a job bud
I also like steaks with a board sauce. But not many fresh herbs this time of the year.

Don't know what she told you, but Valetines day is still 3 weeks out.

Any night is good for a steak night. Looks good.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks like it came out great maybe a bit rare for me but perfect for my wife. A feast like that you may have to try a couple more times before Valentine's Day just to make sure you have it down pat. Of course that means you'd have to suffer through those feasts while you practice :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: OldSmoke
I keep seeing these taunting me at the butcher shop. We decided to stay in for Valentine’s dinner, and somehow I’m elected to cook. She has a LOW bar for expectations.

I was picking up some ribs to toss in with a ham I’m doing on Saturday. I am still trying to refine my ribs. The always taste good, but not what they could be. While at the shop, I decided that filets are going to be on the valentines’s menu.

I want to add a kiss of smoke. So I set the smoker up at 225, running hickory. I coated the meat lightly with worcestershire and rubbed the steak three hours in advance. I put it into the freezer for a couple of hours to give more time in the smoker. I ran it until 100 IT, pulled it and let it rest for about ten minutes. Then put it on the grill for about four minutes of reverse searing. It came off the grill at 130. I added a dash of resting butter and tented.

We accompanied it with a Oregon blue cheese salad, fresh baked roles, and a Napa red blend. More went right with this experiment than wrong. Next time, I will skip the seasoned butter. It was too much for the gentle taste of filet. The smoke was good, the rub (thanks HalfSmoked HalfSmoked !) was good, and the searing good. It was still a bit raw which puzzles me.

Next time, I’ll let it run a bit longer in the smoker, a bit longer searing, and no seasoned butter.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 523608
Yes invite me over, except it's a valentine dinner. Just the way I like it, seared on outside, very red on the inside.

Wow, thank you everyone for the comments and likes!

I’ll post a follow up with the actual dinner.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky