Feed for homeless...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lawdog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Ransom Canyon, TX
My wife came home and told me she had signed us up for a new ministry that our church was backing. She told me that she thought I might enjoy fireing up my big stick burner to cook some good [font=verdana, Sans-Serif]Q[/font] for some less fortunate folks. At the bottom of this post I will attatch a link to a local newspaper article on this organization that is doing this. The guy heading this up seems like he has his stuff together.
My thought is to hit up the local butchers, processing houses (one of which I worked for the first year it was open and I know the owner), supermarkets and wholesellers for donations. I kinda figure if I can get just one to give up some groceries, the rest will follow suit just to not look uncaring.
What I need is and and all ideas for menu items or marketing ideas from the collective minds here.
I have done several cooks for up to 275 no my own but it has always been brisket and sausage, and I am looking to deversify what I am serving ( they say 50 people a meal, give or take).
This is a sit down meal that we will serve resturant style 2 tuesdays a month to start with.
As always thank you in advance for all ideas that you post, all are appreciated

link http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/121507/rel_121507075.shtml

Lawdog

First off I want to say it's nice to see people helping out others in their communities. My hat goes off to you lawdog. As for the menu, you could do some meatloafs and baked potatoes. I have done baked potatoes in the smokers and they are the best I have ever had. I am sure whatever you make will be greatly apreciated. I guess alot depends on what you can get donated. You could do some chickens too. I wish you the best of luck. And once again my hats goes off to you and all the others helping out.

Kookie

I've seen in the upper midwest different projects where hunters donate game to feed the hungry, maybe you can partner with something like that. Good luck with your project!

Well I am either cookin' on the 4th of March or the 25th of march (not sure, I'm not in charge of scheduling).
I got a little impatient and went ahead and bought the meat today. 40# of brisket (1.89# after trim).
Had to share the pic, sorry for the quality, decided to pull them out of the freezer and snap a photo. They have been rolled to fit in the freezer but man they sure look good.
I will follow up with more as I progress.

Lawdog

years ago I & neighbors cooked several turkeys (thanksgiving)all the trimmings-invited the local homeless over-what a great time we had. I aplouad you for what your doing.

Sounds like something I would be interested in. I'm glad you posted the information because we have homelessness here in Mobile. Great idea, thanks.

O.K.
Got the 40# on at about 6:00 this evening, 2 briskets w/ sea salt and coarse ground black pepper, on slathered in mustard and sea salt and cbp. I've never used mustard before so this will be new for me.
I also added 2 charcoal brickettes to see if it adds to the smoke ring on the MES.
along with a BIG pot of pintos. pics to follow.
The left is two packers stacked and a single on the right.

Just a shot of the TBS, man that hickory sure smells good.

more to follow
Lawdog

lawdog
My hat goes off to you on what you are doing for less fortunate Americans; very big hearted of you.

Keep your eye on the internal temp with 2 briquettes added, you smoker temp may get higher than planned, ecspecially in an insulated MES? I do like the idea though, let us know how it works out.....

Well the big feed was yesterday. Only ended up with about 30 people show but the priest was happy with all of it. Most people filled their plates 2 if not 3 times and I still had 1 whole brisket left. All that was left will be searved as sliced brisket sandwiches today @ lunch.
I smoked all in my MES, slathered 1 brisket in mustard, salt and pepper to see how it worked on the bark (had never done one before like that) and the other 2 just salt and pepper. I sure did like the bark on the one with that I slathered.
Smoked @225 till 140* internal, wrapped, back on till 188* internal, pulled and into cooler for about an hour.
Also tried 2 charcoal brickettes in wood box to see if it gave me any smoke ring, my MES produces great smokey flavor and smell, just never have gotten a good smoke ring from it. Charcoal helped a little.
Here are a few pics of the meat, thanks for all the ideas and support.

Lawdog

only got a couple pics law dog but sure looks good-u done good yesterday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky