Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

bill1

Master of the Pit
Apr 25, 2015
Did somebody say 190? Lets go back in the way back when I was young. We use to get 3 gal fruit punch/hawaiian punch, 1 gal of orange and a 1/2 gal of pineapple juice, along with a large can of fruit cocktail. Mix a 1/2 gal of eveclear 190, a fifth of 151 rum, and a pint of vodka. Soak fruit overnight in mix. Next mornin mix all ingredients with one bag of ice in cooler. Then head to whatever sight you wanted to have a party at. LoL
Tip: soak the can of fruit cocktail in the PGA for 24h beforehand. It really soaks up the alcohol nicely and when it all gets mixed together, folks will be fighting for those fruit chunks.
Same with fruitcakes...soak the fruit before adding to the mix. (Not too long or the green and red become brown...I know.) After baking, you might prefer to soak the cake with rum for flavor. But the pga really brings those dried cherries alive.
Most liqueurs (anise, fruits, etc) improve when you fortify them to 100 proof or so. And you can then keep them in the freezer. Very nice after-dinner drink.
A bottle of vodka or gin lasts me decades. Everclear is the only clear liquor I use much of. But I do like bourbon.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Did somebody say 190? Lets go back in the way back when I was young. We use to get 3 gal fruit punch/hawaiian punch, 1 gal of orange and a 1/2 gal of pineapple juice, along with a large can of fruit cocktail. Mix a 1/2 gal of eveclear 190, a fifth of 151 rum, and a pint of vodka. Soak fruit overnight in mix. Next mornin mix all ingredients with one bag of ice in cooler. Then head to whatever sight you wanted to have a party at. LoL
In the PNW, we called that a Spodie, or Spodie-Odie.

Reactions: BBQ Bird

JIMSMOKES

Smoke Blower
Jul 27, 2021
In the PNW, we called that a Spodie, or Spodie-Odie.
Spodie-odies here was beer mixed with a cheap wine. Beer was either Old English 800 or Country club 900 mixed 1-1 with either Boones Farm or Wild Irish Rose. You was forbidden to use Mad Dog (Mohegan David) to make it with!