Favorite things to make with Jalapenos?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
This spring I got the idea to plant a couple Jalapeno plants to make ABTs. Looks like I'm gonna have a bunch. What are some of you guy's favorite recipes to use them in other than just ABTs?

You can let them fully mature on the plant/ripen to a nice solid red and cut in half with or without seeds and smoke low and slow like 140° to dry like jerky up to 24 hours to make homemade Chipotle halves, chunks and powder. Especially if you have another flush of peppers at the end of the season and you want to preserve them over the winter for tacos, chili etc. Seach the forum for Jalapeño recipies.

You can let them fully mature on the plant/ripen to a nice solid red and cut in half with or without seeds and smoke low and slow like 140° to dry like jerky up to 24 hours to make homemade Chipotle halves, chunks and powder. Especially if you have another flush of peppers at the end of the season and you want to preserve them over the winter for tacos, chili etc. Seach the forum for Jalapeño recipies.
That was another thing, knowing when to pick them.

I picked them when dark green, firm and shiney. Before they ripen red they can get corky. Woody looking streaks like a wine cork which usually means a hotter pepper but no flavor/texture difference.
That was another thing, knowing when to pick them.

I picked them when dark green, firm and shiney. Before they ripen red they can get corky. Woody looking streaks like a wine cork which usually means a hotter pepper but no flavor/texture difference.
Thank you, I love the flavor, Wife doesn't like much heat. So green picking it is.

Jalapeno Jam
It's da'bomb on sausage biscuits and makes an interesting glaze on meats.
My sister used to give me blueberry/jalapeno jelly that she would get at a craft fair. Forgot about that, that stuff was good! Glaze sounds good, stupid super low carb, can't eat it on crackers anymore!

Thank you, I love the flavor, Wife doesn't like much heat. So green picking it is.
I think corking is related to not enough watering and for super hot peppers many people let the leaves wilt before watering really well to maximize capsaicin production in the pepper. Corking is a Jalapeño thing, being a thick/meaty pepper. So if your Jalapeños aren't corky and green or red ready to pick they'll be the same spiciness. The red ones may be sweeter like bell peppers are when they change colors.

I top, half, and clean them and freeze. They hold up well. But honestly, cowboy candy sounds killer on a cracker with some cream cheese.

Reactions: ironhorse07
I like to stuff them inside of moinks or porkshots. Adds another dimension.

Chris

We use jalapenos in a lot of dishes.
Any time a recipe calls for green pepper, we use jalapenos or poblanos.
Al

I like to chop them in small pieces, mix them with some softened cream cheese, spread it on a piece of thin cut venison steak (could use beef) roll it up, wrap with bacon and put on the grill.

They freeze really well. Whole or halved and gutted. I do cowboy candy, jalapeno jelly, escabeche, chipotle, and a pickled jalapenos and carrots (I'll have to dig that recipe out and post it), just to name a few

Its candied Jalapeños !!! I use this recipe and turns out great!!
IMG_3327.JPG

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
I add just a little pickling spice in with the boil and strain it out when I add it to the jars with the jalapeño. And Well worth the effort to make them. No joke.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky