Favorite memories of our four legged friends!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
I thought this might be kinda fun to share some of our best memories with our pets (doesn't have to be dogs), or maybe some not so favorite memories that we can look back and laugh at now. So many of us have lost our best friends and family members so thought it would be fun to listen to others stories also.

This is about Sadie, a mix of black lab and weimaraner, she passed away earlier this year. So back in the winter of 09 and 10 I ended up with diverticulitis, ended up having two surgeries on my colon so was stuck in the house from November to March. We had a ton of snow that winter. When Sadie was younger we really enjoyed going pheasant hunting together. So I look out the window one day and see the back end of Sadie sticking out from behind a tree, tail wagging and about belly deep in snow...wondering what she is doing. Well lo and behold she comes out with a rooster pheasant! What made it even better was she brought it up on the porch and dropped it at the front door! Good girl Sadie!!! Should have seen the look she gave me for eating that pheasant...she got dog treats.

This is Sadie
20190427_204638.jpg

And of course have to add in a pic of her son, Big Guy. His dad was a pure bred Norwegian elk hound. One of his favorite ways to sleep
20201204_194040.jpg

Now let's hear your favorite memories or stories!

Ryan

I don't have a pic of Britney, but a good story. Britney was a Springer Spaniel mix pup, we got at the pound, our fist year married. We already had a Cat and Stache didn't approve of us getting a dog!. Britney was a great pet and was an even better Nurse. With each of our Daughters, Britney would sleep under the girls Crip. In the event the baby woke up, Britney would find my Wife and bark, motioning to the Baby's room.
One afternoon Bev and the kids were out shopping and I was home with the dog and cat. I noticed neither animal was in the room with me as would be typical. I got up to look around. I made my way into the kitchen. Now Stache and Britney, usually avoided each other. To my surprise, I found Stache on top of the refrigerator were we kept a box of Milkbone Dog Treats. That Cat had knocked over the box, and was batting Milkbones to the waiting Dog, one at a time! As Britney finished one treat Stache would bat another to Brit, who was catching them, mid air. Unfortunately, this was in 91 and before Smartphone Video recording. I sure do miss those two characters...JJ

I don't have a pic of Britney, but a good story. Britney was a Springer Spaniel mix pup, we got at the pound, our fist year married. We already had a Cat and Stache didn't approve of us getting a dog!. Britney was a great pet and was an even better Nurse. With each of our Daughters, Britney would sleep under the girls Crip. In the event the baby woke up, Britney would find my Wife and bark, motioning to the Baby's room.
One afternoon Bev and the kids were out shopping and I was home with the dog and cat. I noticed neither animal was in the room with me as would be typical. I got up to look around. I made my way into the kitchen. Now Stache and Britney, usually avoided each other. To my surprise, I found Stache on top of the refrigerator were we kept a box of Milkbone Dog Treats. That Cat had knocked over the box, and was batting Milkbones to the waiting Dog, one at a time! As Britney finished one treat Stache would bat another to Brit, who was catching them, mid air. Unfortunately, this was in 91 and before Smartphone Video recording. I sure do miss those two characters...JJ
That's awesome! Not only would that video have been classic it probably could have won you some cash on funniest home videos!

Ryan

My black Lab Molly was young and I was still training her when I decided to take her along goose hunting one winter day. My friend Rick knocked down a Canada Goose which immediately stood up when it hit the ground. Normally it would not be a good idea to send a young dog after a wounded goose because the dog could become frigtened and apprehensive. Wounded geese will spread their wings, hiss, and lash out at a young dog.

Molly was young, but a determined retriever, so I decided to send her after that wounded goose. She never hesitated! On a dead run she approached the goose and on cue, that goose reared up, spread its wings and was ready to take on its pursuer.

Molly hit that goose like Jack Lambert (linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers in their glory Super Bowl days), rolled it, picked it up, shook it, and came trotting back half dragging and half carrying it as proud as could be.

At that point I knew I had a good dog!

Man, I loved that dog and sure do miss her,

John

Last edited:
I remember one time when Sixtoe was just a wee pup. I brought him and the kids to a quarry to cool off and see if he liked to go into the water. As luck would have it a young couple set up their towels about ten feet in front of us. Once they settled in they started eating their lunch. Well low and behold Sixtoe moseyed on over for a visit. While getting all the attention a tiny black fur ball could possible want I eventually had to play the villain and bring him back. About ten minutes later Six made his way back over to the young couples towels and managed to snatch one of their sandwiches. The young couple were very polite about it and said he could have the sandwich. I went and got Six once again and apologized to the couple. When I picked Sixtoe up off their towels we noticed that he also left a wet stain, and since he was dry we all knew what it was. I was apologizing all over the place meanwhile trying to hold in my laughter. Thank god Six was just young enough and cute enough to get away with it. Karma did get me back that day - as I lost my truck keys while swimming in the quarry and had to walk a mile or so with my young kids and a pup to the nearest store to call my wife to bring us the second set.

Chris

Last edited:
We also used to have a house cat named buttons, all black cat I found on the side of the road as a kitten. For some reason as she grew up she loved the vacuum cleaner...when my wife started vacuuming the cat would go lay down in front of her, if Shelly would try and go around her she'd get up and move to lay down in front of her again. So Shelly would have to take head off vacuum and vacuum the cats belly with the hose, after that Shelly could continue vacuuming!

Ryan

Great thread Ryan and a much needed ray of sunshine in these troubling times. Bianca is now 11 and I had to go back through some old files to find some pics of her from when she was a puppy. I can't say as there is a "favorite" but some I remember well. When we first got her she thought her name was Precious So-Cute. Everybody who saw her either said "she's precious" or she's so cute".

Lounging in the front yard. This is what we called Bianca Social hour. She'd just hang out in the front yard waiting for the neighbors to come by and pet her.
IMG_2234.JPG

Savagely attacking the 210 pound Great Dane that lived three houses up. Duke was SO gentle with her.
IMG_2239.JPG

All tuckered out after social hour. Getting petted by 50 people will just wear out a little girl.
IMG_2247.JPG

Hanging out on the patio with Aunt Lori
IMG_2258.JPG

Snuggling up with mommy (Tracy)
IMG_2270.JPG

Honest mom, it wasn't me that broke it
Picture001.jpg

All dolled up for Christmas last year
BiancaXmas.jpg.jpeg

I have a few thousand more that Tracy took as she was growing up but this is enough. Y'all get the idea. Bianca is just a tad spoiled and the center of our universe.

Robert

When I was a kid, my mom hated cats due to some Italian old wives tales about cats, infants, and milk. Consequently, cats were never on my list of pets to own. Then I married a cat lover. We only had one cat for years. Typical cat; indifferent and disinterested unless it was mealtime.

Several years later we moved into our current home. Our backyard is 80% natural under a 300-500 year-old oak tree. A neighbor left a pregnant cat behind when they moved, so the expectant mom took up residence in our backyard. Mocha gave birth to Patches, Pieces, and Shadow (two others too we adopted out). Pieces was the only loveable cat. The others were kind of feral, but they warmed to us, their providers, as they neared the ends of their lives.

As they started to pass away, another stray cat moved into our backyard. He was a big boy, like 13.5 lbs and solid muscle. I'm convinced Fuzzy was a reincarnated dog. If you went outside, he was right at your feet, and did not leave. Walk to the mailbox, he was weaving between your step. Roasting coffee, grilling dinner, smoking overnight, he was right there with me. He loved getting petted.

He used to jump up on my defunct gas grill and slap the kitchen window to get my wife's attention when she was sitting at the table. When it was time for breakfast or dinner, he'd slap the frame of the back slider's screen to make noise. Late at night, he'd lean against the screen door to make it rattle so one of us would go out and pet him. We had no idea where he slept, but it was close by because he'd show up in about five minutes when called.

He got old and disappeared one day for about six weeks. He did not come when called. My wife thought he might have gone away to die. Still, we called him every day.

One morning I went out to the backyard and heard a weak meow. Fuzzy was laying under the porch table and not looking good. He had lost a lot of weight and could barely move. The vet said Fuzzy had cancer and it was time to let him go. We said our goodbyes and sent him to his final rest. That was hard.

For the next six weeks, though, our back slider would rattle late at night and first thing in the morning. I can't tell you how many times I looked and opened that slider to see if Fuzzy was there. When it finally stopped, we knew he'd moved on.
Resized_20141019_103933.jpg

These have all been great stories and pics...thanks for sharing them!

Ryan

Don't think I have any hosted pics of my pooches to post but you can see one of mine as my avatar. He was a Boxer/Chow mix and bipolar because of it. Most of the time he was a laid back Chow but sometimes he went hyperactive Boxer. In his youth he could clear a 4ft fence like it didn't exist. One night he decided to go walk about and about 3AM the local cops woke me up to complain about me turning my dog out. As if on cue he appeared and jumped the neighbor's fence. The cops apologized and never bothered me again. I also had a small 6ft board fence installed to stop his wandering ways. He almost made it to 16yo.

All some great looking pets! Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

In his youth he could clear a 4ft fence like it didn't exist.
He' a Powerful looking follow. Must be in the Boxer's Genes. Our Pit/Boxer will stand at the Front Door and leap up the 6 feet to look out the window!...JJ

The Puppy is his Niece. I wonder if she will be as Big?

received_212631053605354.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread me thinking about all the lost pets. Thank you for starting this Brokenhandle Brokenhandle
Here my other lost friends

View attachment 474877View attachment 474878
You had some gorgeous dogs! With all the losses so many members here have gone through lately I thought it would be fun to start this and see what kind of stories we could get. Wanted it to be fun and light hearted. They definitely have a place in our hearts forever!

Ryan

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Have a couple more pics to add of our 1 1/2 year old toddler, Kya. She likes to sit pretty

Resized_20201216_204011_1407125887975357.jpeg

Resized_20201216_204019_1407178225897993.jpeg

She's a nut!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky