Fatty Question: Dense meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hilbillyinca

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Martinez, CA
So I've done several fatties now.
My far and away favorite was breakfast fatty (scrambled eggs, cream cheese, chives, onions, salsa verde).

My question is such:

Is anybody else a little put off by how dense the meat becomes when pressed into a ziploc and rolled?

I LOVE breakfast sausage, but i love it patty form. Kinda like a hamburger, where its still a little "loose".

Is there any way to avoid this? perhaps a blend of meats?

I have found the finer the grind in the meat the more you see that. Most commercial sausage is ground finer, but you never cook it as long as with a fatty. Once the outside layers get to 165 then the fat modules that give it texture melt off. I use a 3/8 die when grinding my pork butt for sausage. I get a better texture this way, but I think the only way not to lose it at all might be to make the sausage not the outer layer. going to work with that myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky