Fatty Pork Butt. What to do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seven10ashbury

Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Hey guys. I was wondering, I'm smoking something for the first time and I chose a pork butt. Its a basic 8 lb. pork butt, but there's a layer of fat on the bottom. Should I remove it? Cook it fat side up or down? I'm doing it Saturday so any help would be great. THANX!

Seven

icon_cool.gif

Leave the fat on there or at least some of it. If there is a ton of it you can trim some of it off but you want a layer of fat (Fat Cap) on it. As far as fat cap up or down they both work. Some put it up some put it down and some flip it during the cook. Either way will work it more of a personal preference thing. Are you going to foil it? I usually take my butts to around 165 then double foil them and put them back on the smoker until they hit 195-205 they they go off to a cooler filled with towels. This will keep the meat warm for many hours and it will make the butt very juicy. Good luck with your smoke and make sure to take lots of pictures (qview) for us.

I always leave the fat cap on too, but I'm sure some folks believe their butts cook faster if it's trimmed off. It's really a personal preference. As far as up or down, I usually cook mine fat cap up so that the meat gets exposed to heat/smoke more and so that when the fat renders, it flows over the meat. Does it make a difference? Not sure.

BTW, love your screen name! Wish I could have visited 710 back in the day, even if just for a contact buzz.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky