• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fatty Pizza

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 29, 2006
Couldn't resist, had to try a pizza made with a fatty. We always look for quick things to fix for the evening meal since Jane works all day and I fish ;) Chopped a fatty, JD regular, pecan smoked. Made the crust with a Martha White (79 cents) pizza crust mix, just add hot water and stir. Spread it on a pan and coat with canned spaghetti sauce with mushrooms. Sprinkle with chopped fatty then with as much of your favorite cheese as you like. Used shredded cheddar and colby jack. There are a jillion other things you could put on, these are what we had on hand at the time the urge to do it struck, and, like I said, looking for something quick.
This turned out really good. The smoke adds that extra dimension. Will make this again and plan ahead to have other ingredients. For a quicky it was good!
Add a salad and a nice local white wine............. MM MMMM MMMMMMMM!
c986c564_vbattach12102.jpg

8d3d79ee_vbattach12101.jpg

843e5b4e_vbattach12100.jpg

9f3f1d74_vbattach12099.jpg

a5e54928_vbattach12098.jpg

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Did you smoke the pizza or just the fatty? I've been thinking about trying to smoke a pizza ... LOL

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 29, 2006
Just the fatty. I smoked a bunch a few days ago, been experimenting with them. "Fatty's, They're not just for breakfast anymore"

Now a smoked whole pizza sounds really interesting. Would just fit on the ECB too, I think. Hmmmmmmmmm...............................
"Outside the box" thinking, I like it!
If you try it be sure to let me know how it works. If I go for it I will do the same.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Mike -

I think we'd have to make small12" pizzas to get any smoke on the top in our ECBs but on a pizza screen even the bottom would be smoky flavored.

I'm think low heat with smoke about 30 minutes or less and high heat for another 10 or so.

camp_cookie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 26, 2007
Looks great. You could always used smoked cheese or grill the pizza to get more of a smoke taste to it.

I've done a pizza in my BGE with nothing other than regular lump charcoal going, and it added a great taste dynamic.

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 29, 2006
A screen would probably be the ticket. And you are right, 12" is about the max. on the ECB. I'm leaning toward a larger smoker in the near future, looking at the options. Might have the ECB bronzed.
Naaaaahhhhhhhhh. Couldn't do that, it keeps going.

The smoked cheese is a good idea. I always have some on hand. Would certainly add smoky flavor.

meowey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 16, 2006
Sounds like a fine idea. I have made BBQ pizza with leftover pulled pork, using BBQ sauce instead of tomato or marinara, along with a 4 cheese mexican blend. Yummy!!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

tonto1117

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2007
Mmmmmmmm......here I go again drooling before breakfast. Looks very very yummy Mike.

meat~smoker in n.j.

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 1, 2007
FATTY on a pizza sounds great !! we had the FATTY i did on sunday last night with spagettie mmmmmm ..... My wife say`s she like the fatty ,,, I can`t find the JD type ....been looking, even sam`s club don`t have them ??? go figure
.... i`ve been using the JAMESTOWN mild , has a good flavor ! I want to try the Jimmy Dean that every body raves about !!!!
O well guese i gotta keep on looking

up in smoke

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 12, 2006
Yeah Charlie! Ya gotta try that new JD Bold Country Hot Sausage, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s really tasty stuff! Didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t need any srirachi sauce on it!

83451113_vbattach12122.jpg

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Hey Mike, pizza looks great, you really went all Martha Stewart on us with your presentation there!
Looks good. I like your piggy plate too!

hanifen

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 9, 2007
yea the fatty on a pizza sounds great - will have to try it.

And if you are in the part of the country that sells it I reccommend Bob Evans Sausage. It is MUCH better the Jimmy Dean... MUCH MUCH Better

zardnok

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 21, 2006
I love chopping up a fatty and sprinkling it over pizza. Even the el-cheapo Party Pizza's are given fresh life with some chopped fatty and a sprinkling of decent cheese on top.

gypc

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 4, 2006
Wow!! that's a great idea. I've never tried that but we will. My family and I love making homemade pizza............it's usally about 3 inches thick..........now I'll make it thicker with a nice plump fatty

mikey2gunz

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 9, 2007
you just wanted to use:all in the same post. whoda thunk you were just talkin' pizza?

fatty pizza does sound good

mike

larry maddock

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 27, 2005
the hottest my smoker gets is 246 f...
i dont think the crust will get krusty...

what say you fellow members???

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.