Fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
This is my/our first attempt at fatties.

The long skinny one was done by the Mrs. and it has mushrooms and swiss in it. The other one has cheddar, american,swiss, and grilled onions in it. I did the bacon weave on both. She was busy with one of the midgets.

Ill post more once they are done and sliced.

Also want to thank everyone who has taken the time to do post with details of how to do all of this. Without all the the help things wouldn't have gone as good as they have so far.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nice work, it's almost a craft in itself the way some people present the food. Can't wait for the results.

Turned out good. It cooked faster than i wanted so the bacon was not as crisp as the wife wanted. We all enjoyed the results.

Yummy

biggrin.gif

thanks again for all the help

Nice Job!!!!!!!
just put them on the grill to cook the bacon a little more
I also like the probe holder, did you eat the onion, I'll have to try that next

Im in the mountains of California about a hour northwest of Tahoe.

We did try the onion. It had a bit of crunch in it still but was really good.

Thanks for that tip. Ill have to try it next time.

OR:

you could pre cook the bacon on real low heat for 10 minutes or so to render out some of the fat and start the cooking in it. Its kinda slimy when you are done but 10 minutes in the pan, makes some awesome crustier bacon for the shell of your fatty! It will shorten up on ya though, so be prepared for that.

Its ground beef. Basically Fatty Burgers
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
.  I have also used ground chicken too. They all turn out great.  I would recommend using thin cut bacon as the thick is hard to get crisp.

they look awesome. how long did u smokem for? Did you go by temp? thanks. I will be trying them soon.

they look awesome. how long did u smokem for? Did you go by temp? thanks. I will be trying them soon.  
 I usually take my fattie to an internal of 170*, The (thin) bacon is crispy and the fattie is done! That's just me. every smoker is different Just keep smokin and have fun 
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Yes I cooked by temp. The only thing I didnt like was the thick cut bacon. It didnt cook enough.

I am definitly gonna have to try this..

That has got to be one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen!!! *sniffle*

just gotta find some recipes and decide what I want in it

any idea how many strips of bacon you used?

Do you just make a woven "mat", place the chub on it,

then stretch it around or what?

that is an awsome weave you gots there!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky