Fatties, Part Three the finale- smoked it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Charlotte, I hoping that means good. Oh well back to google definitions for British slang.

Gaffer Chris. :)
Haha yes Gaffer Chris...crackin, smashin, bostin all good terms :D we have a 'Bostin Baps' near us because the food is apparently 'bloody bostin' :p hahaha you can always ask me if not google

I usually let it fly until the bacon is done. I do probe(insta-read) occasionally and shoot for 165* especially with hamburger. With sausage I usually go by the bacon. Which is why I like thin sliced. If your bacon isn't crisping up then you can always pop it under the brioler for a minute or so to crisp it up.

Chris

Jiffylush, funkadelik and bassthumb32 thanks for the read and like. Appreciate it.

Chris

I NEVER tire of reading about good food!

and Fatties are the bomb!

These are soon on my list!

Your Fatties are an inspiration!

Thank you for the tutorial! It well explains how the process goes and you make it look easy!

one question:
when you slice and vac seal, do you then freeze? If so, what is the best way to prepare the frozen slices?

this may become a staple at my camp!

I NEVER tire of reading about good food!

and Fatties are the bomb!

These are soon on my list!

Your Fatties are an inspiration!

Thank you for the tutorial! It well explains how the process goes and you make it look easy!

one question:
when you slice and vac seal, do you then freeze? If so, what is the best way to prepare the frozen slices?

this may become a staple at my camp!

Thanks nanuk, Yes I do freeze. Most of the time I bring them to work for lunch and just use the microwave. I have reheated them in a toaster-oven and they were good, it just took to long.

Chris

This is a three part series:

Part one is the making of a fattie.
Fattie turtorial #1 https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...his-is-a-two-part-thread.275822/#post-1834218

Part two is the bacon weave:
Fattie turtorial #2 https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fatties-part-two-the-bacon-weave.275824/#post-1834226

This is part three the smoke:

Mother nature wasn't being very cooperative yesterday. She was reminding us of whose really in charge by showing off with a few wind gusts and some on-again, off-again downpours. Because of this I decided to break out old reliable again. Mr. Kettle.

Time to fire her up, with one basket and a weber cube.
View attachment 365241

Can't forget the charcoal:
View attachment 365242

Starting to heat up.
View attachment 365243
A few chunks of apple and two fatties ready to go on their indirect voyage.
View attachment 365244

About an hour later they're starting to get their tan on.
View attachment 365245

Fast forward another hour. Just like sunbathing on the shores of beautiful lake Champlain.
View attachment 365246

Just about done.
View attachment 365247

...165* and they're done in.
View attachment 365248

View attachment 365249

Ooops, rookie mistake. I sliced before giving them a chance to rest and recoup. View attachment 365233
I did manage to sneak in one semi-plated shot while the wife washed her hands. We also had a baked tator.
View attachment 365234

Closeup of the diagonal sliced.
View attachment 365236
The next day, all sliced up ready for breakfast and vacuum sealing.
View attachment 365240

This is the finale to what turned out to be a very long thread(s). Sorry about that, but if you made it through all three phases - I thank you, and hopefully it will aid in helping someone whose never made a fattie do so in the future.

Chris

Thanks for the look.
gmc2003 gmc2003 Thank you for the step by step directions. I didn't even know what a "FATTIE" was until I read it here and now thanks to you and this forum I will be making my first one for the fourth of July celebration....along with your pork shots, ABT's and of course...MOINKS! I will share the pics!
Thank you again!

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
gmc2003 gmc2003 Thank you for the step by step directions. I didn't even know what a "FATTIE" was until I read it here and now thanks to you and this forum I will be making my first one for the fourth of July celebration....along with your pork shots, ABT's and of course...MOINKS! I will share the pics!
Thank you again!

Good luck and enjoy the fattie they're addicting. I'm working over the holiday, but I hope to check in every once in a while. So if you need any help just give a shout out. If I don't see it there are plenty of folks on board that are fattie wizards. Also thank you for the kind words and like. Appreciate them.

An out of the park success. I'd be all over these. Big like!

Coming from a well known author and food aficionado that's a huge compliment.

Thank you and thanks for the like.

Chris
Chris

Great write-up Chris! This should be a forum PIN!
Don

Thanks Don, much appreciated. If you decide to make one and have any questions feel free to ask away. There are a bunch of members well skilled in the art of fatties.

Chris

Approx how long at 225 deg for a 4 lb'er??

Just did my first one today and actually picture documented it. Will post when finished. It is in the fridge firming up.

I've never actually weighed a fatty, but at 225* I would say somewhere between an hour to two hours. I saw your post and the fatty looks great.

Chris

New member here. I made one of these YEARS ago, had no idea what it was called but it was the most fun to make and I used nothing above, just mashed with hands. Now that I'm an "adult" I am looking forward to applying this guide. Thank you!

New member here. I made one of these YEARS ago, had no idea what it was called but it was the most fun to make and I used nothing above, just mashed with hands. Now that I'm an "adult" I am looking forward to applying this guide. Thank you!

Thank you and have fun with it. The sky is the limit when it comes to fillings. I'll be looking forward to your thread.

Chris

Jabiru Jabiru thanks for the like, appreciate it

Chris

It's a great tutorial and pretty much a work of art the way you make it come off Chris. I've got it all bookmarked and will most surely take a stab or two in the not too distant future, tho I can't imagine ending with the perfection that you achieve. Huge Like! RAY

It's a great tutorial and pretty much a work of art the way you make it come off Chris. I've got it all bookmarked and will most surely take a stab or two in the not too distant future, tho I can't imagine ending with the perfection that you achieve. Huge Like! RAY

Ray they are fairly easy to make and enjoyable to eat. Give it a go and if you have any questions fire away. Thanks for the like and kindly words. Appreciate them.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky