Fatties Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gobbledot

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
East TN
Again I am new to the smoking thing. From all I have done so far (butts X 4) I love it. I keep reading about the fatties and they sound great. I have a couple of questions, what exactly is the fatties made from, sausage? What is the best temp to cook at and what should the end temp be when they are done. Do you cook them directly on the smoker rack or in a loaf pan? I have a GOSM gas wide body, I am going to try the pan modification and see if i get a little more smoke. I dont have a digetal thermometer yet all i have been using is the ol pocket models, I think I am going to have to upgrade
icon_biggrin.gif
. Thanks for any and all help, and sorry to be such a bother to everyone. I love this site, there is so much different and interesting stuff for my little brain
icon_mrgreen.gif
to take in...

Fatty is a big thick breakfast sausage, sometimes called a chunk sausage. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s usually about 3-1/2 to 4 inches in diameter and about 7 or 8 inches long.

Yes a fatty is breakfast sausage. Jimmy Dean or something similar. It is a "Chub" of sausage, the ones that come in a roll.
I cook mine directly on the smoker grate.
They can be opened and cooked as is, or maybe rolled out and stuffed with what ever you like. Then you roll them back up and cook.
Cook at 225-250* till temp reaches 165-170*, or about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Go by the temperature though. Only real way to tell if its done.

Agree with these guys. I use one pound plain sausage and one pound maple flavored sausage. Stuff that puppy with your favorite things. Popular is bacon,cheese and peppers. Your imagination is what will limit you!

Mine average about 2 or so hours each at 225* and I shoot for an internal of 162*. It is what works for me.

I made my first fatty a couple of weeks ago and I know what all the hype is about. I used 1 lb of venison/pork sausage and stuffed it with hashbrowns, onions, and shredded cheese. Went great for breakfast. Was kinda tough to roll but think next time I'll use 2 lbs of sausage.

If you do roll it out to stuff a trick I found that works is take two pieces of wax paper and spray them with pam and roll out chub between the two pieces of wax paper.....I use a rolling pin over the wax paper to roll it......Works pretty good that way.......Great thing these fatties are.........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky