FATTIE 2018 (Annual Michigan Gathering)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds good tom! Get practicing! These guys/gals have been getting better and better yearly! And buy a good/large cooler cause you have to get the half hog home!

JD07,

Yeah it’s nice to have it all work out. When your getting into the days before and the day of you just want it over. Then you look back and realize you more or less missed it again. This is the 3rd year in a row I was too busy to even make a plate....

Wife said she’s making me a plate next year & putting it in the fridge for me to eat the next day. Lol! Probably best case senerio.

I swear I was busy working until the fattie results were read and then I was busy entertaining the rest of the night.

Great time though!

Hope your south Florida gathering goes well! I know you have had it down there for some time now. I’ve seen posts on it. Does @SmokinAl attend that one? He’s full of knowledge! Helped me out a lot in the past!

Ribs & burnt ends competition sounds great! 6 years ago I decided to do the fattie as our competition just because it was something different than I’d ever seen. So many varieties for the judges to try. We’ve stuck with it and I provide the rest of the Q with some help from a few regulars.

Good luck with your gathering! Can’t wait to see the pics!

Scott

Cfarmer,

It was a great time! Bring the motor home next year. We usually have a few campers and tents on the property for this event. You’ll fit right in cause this event is full or local farmers!

Scott

And no doubt gentlemen, our original group gathering 6 years ago started with the original guys who met on these forums. None of us knew each other except from these forums. And over the years it’s grown in our community, with peoples families, and friends and more people from these forums. Would have never happened without this forum.

Scott

"humdinger drinking some of the makers mark private select I picked up at the distillery this summer.
Thank you humdinger for bringing your smoker, Mac n cheese, and tables! As always it’s a BIG help!"

My pleasure Scott. Like I said I host a lot of parties so I know what it takes to make something like this happen, so I love to help. I had a great time seeing everyone again and meeting new friends like TomKnollRFV TomKnollRFV and his father. Both great guys who are fun to talk to and fit right in! Also my daughter had a great time running your back lot with all the kids. All that fresh air and exercise made for a very quiet ride home later that night!

Also I might add that moving it from July to September was a great idea. I think the weather was perfect for this kind of event.

Lastly, thanks for breaking out the "good stuff" after things settled down a bit. Always a great way to cap the night...

How in the world do you straight on who's fattie's who's on that smoker?

Scott Stood next to the smoker with a pen and paper as people loaded their fattys. Once a spot was taken he would mark it up on his little map. I suggested that maybe next year we put little numbers on Popsicle sticks. It's a learning process.....

Last edited:
Reactions: kawboy
Appreciate it dinger!

Yeah I forgot to answer the question how we figured out who’s was who’s on the smoker. It’s actually a high tech system that involves a bic pen (black ink), a yellow legal pad, and someone who’s highly trained in designing maps. Lol! I just wrote people’s names on a map as they put them on. We had a bit of confusion at the end because 2 of them were moved without my knowledge. In the end it all worked out.

The map has worked the last 3 years and if memory serves me correct it was 20, 32, and 19 fatties for those three years. So it’s not a terrible plan. Tooth pic flags with numbers on them would work great and give me some more time to do other things though....

We drank a lot of the good stuff Saturday night dinger! Some of them bottles were getting low! Lol!

Scott

Appreciate it dinger!

Yeah I forgot to answer the question how we figured out who’s was who’s on the smoker. It’s actually a high tech system that involves a bic pen (black ink), a yellow legal pad, and someone who’s highly trained in designing maps. Lol! I just wrote people’s names on a map as they put them on. We had a bit of confusion at the end because 2 of them were moved without my knowledge. In the end it all worked out.

The map has worked the last 3 years and if memory serves me correct it was 20, 32, and 19 fatties for those three years. So it’s not a terrible plan. Tooth pic flags with numbers on them would work great and give me some more time to do other things though....

We drank a lot of the good stuff Saturday night dinger! Some of them bottles were getting low! Lol!

Scott
Next year I gotta stay out for the late night stuff..but we also had to make a day long drive on Sunday. lol.

Thanks crazymoon.

Had a great time as always. Just wish I had some more pics to post. Gonna have someone in charge of that at next years fattie contest.

Scott

3BCF696E-972D-49AD-B13C-3FBBE9FE098A.jpeg

TomKnollRFV TomKnollRFV .......

Sat around the barn today with @handymanstan and drank some brown pops while we cooked down some hot sauce. Opened the turkey pepperoni you brought. Your right the texture is an issue.

View attachment 376848
TomKnollRFV TomKnollRFV .......

Sat around the barn today with @handymanstan and drank some brown pops while we cooked down some hot sauce. Opened the turkey pepperoni you brought. Your right the texture is an issue.
It's bizarre isn't it? It browns up nice and then it's alright. But I think turkey is just not a good idea for straight pepperoni! Oughta try that Salsa instead, far prouder of that then the pepperoni!

Salsa is still in the barn fridge. I’m gonna get on that soon! Is it hot or mild?

Salsa is still in the barn fridge. I’m gonna get on that soon! Is it hot or mild?
Mild man. I actually just did a rasberry and honey smoked salsa that was hotter but has the fruit and honey to soften the hit. Only 3 Jalapenos in what amounted to 2.5 of the jars I left ya, so fairly mild. But it tastes way fresher then store bought!

I just looked and we’re out of chips...

I’ll get some this week.

I did some hot sauce Friday and stan and i did some more today. I’ll throw a thread up when I get some time. Gonna do more this week. Picking peppers from the garden like crazy!

I just looked and we’re out of chips...

I’ll get some this week.

I did some hot sauce Friday and stan and i did some more today. I’ll throw a thread up when I get some time. Gonna do more this week. Picking peppers from the garden like crazy!
I'm jealous of that garden. Ours is giving up the ghost now. Doubt I'll be doing any more salsa! Can't wait to see the thread with you and stan doing some Hot Sauce. I might have to come out to MI for more then 2 days or some thing and learn from you masters of the arts!

I have peppers everywhere! All kinds of them. Working with habanero and cherry peppers the past few days. Gonna do some ghost next week.

Appreciate the compliments but we are not masters of anything. Always learning and trying new things. When I’m all done with the hot sauce making this year I’ll send you some. I have my graphics guy making me labels this week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky