Father's Day test run QView

Discussion in 'Pork' started by twardnw, Jun 17, 2010.

1. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

Going to be doing some ribs on Sunday for my dad, dad-in-law, and brother-in-law, along with all the associated families. Been tweaking my new smoker (but that's another story), so this evening I am giving things a test-run. Using Jeff's rub, just doing a single rack this evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mythmaster

mythmaster Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

You better be a BSD user with that avatar!

Looking forward to the rest of the Q-view. [​IMG]

3. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

I am absolutely a BSD user. Not as much as I used to be, only my router is running it now, but I still know my way around :)

4. mythmaster

Awesome.  I used it (FreeBSD) back in the day before the kernel was modular then switched over to Linux (Slackware).  I'm a die-hard Gentoo fan now, but I've loaded up and used *buntu lately in order to help new users troubleshoot.

You've gotta love the BSD roots, though, and nothing else *feels* more like UNIX than BSD.  I especially like the fact that FreeBSD has a very good ZFS port.

Sorry to threadjack, and waiting to see more pics. [​IMG]

5. caveman

caveman Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Anything Linux / Unix related ROCKS hard!!!  I am a Slacker myself but on to the thread. 

I was curious as to why your version of Jeff's rub looked different from mine.  I think you want a more even, heavy coat all over the ribs.  When I did it that way, I had a nice even bark on the finished product.  Not to say yours won't turn out terrific.  Just making an observation.  What do you think?

6. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

That's why I'm doing a test run [​IMG]

Figured I'd start light and work my way up, I'm new to the whole 'rub' thing.

here's a pic of how things are going to look for the next several hours
    [​IMG]

7. caveman

caveman Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Okay.  I was not trying to question you or anything, just wanted to know what the difference of things were.  So far, it looks as if you are right on track, so keep it coming.  [​IMG]

8. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

how hot is too hot for ribs (internal temp)? The 5-day course just says to run at 225-240 for 6 hours minimum, does it really work out ok? I would be worried about drying them out.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  9. mythmaster

Well, with pork, you generally want the IT to reach 160*.  6 hours for spares at around 225* is pretty much the rule-of-thumb.  It depends on your smoking environment as to whether or not they will be dry.  I use a MES with a water pan in order to keep the smoking environment moist.  With other smokers that don't have water pans, you will have to spritz them occasionally.

10. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

I have a water pan in my Brinkmann, but I can't get it lower than 240

11. mythmaster

6 hours will be too long then.  Do you have a thermometer to check them with?

12. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

definitely, internal temp 30 minutes ago was 150ish

13. mythmaster

You should be about there, then. :)

14. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

ok, figure that now is close enough to done, that and my wife got home, so that means it's dinner time
    [​IMG]

15. mythmaster

WTF???  Picture of foil???

You, sir, are no longer my friend. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

hey, they literally just came out :p

here, this should help
    [​IMG]

17. twardnw

twardnw Fire Starter

ok, now onto the good stuff :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  18. mythmaster

19. newflame

newflame Meat Mopper

I find that when I make jeff's rub with different kinds of paprika it affects the darkness alot, I've been using spanish paprika and it looks pretty light, almost like twardnw's

20. greechneb

greechneb Fire Starter

Looks great!

Also, I'd never would have guessed there'd be so many BSD & Linux users out here. Ubuntu here myself (except at work where its windows)