Father's Day test run QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twardnw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Going to be doing some ribs on Sunday for my dad, dad-in-law, and brother-in-law, along with all the associated families. Been tweaking my new smoker (but that's another story), so this evening I am giving things a test-run. Using Jeff's rub, just doing a single rack this evening.

34a1d1ab_2010-06-17+18_14_04.jpg

08bcc263_2010-06-17+18_24_06.jpg

I am absolutely a BSD user. Not as much as I used to be, only my router is running it now, but I still know my way around :)

I am absolutely a BSD user. Not as much as I used to be, only my router is running it now, but I still know my way around :)
Awesome.  I used it (FreeBSD) back in the day before the kernel was modular then switched over to Linux (Slackware).  I'm a die-hard Gentoo fan now, but I've loaded up and used *buntu lately in order to help new users troubleshoot.

You've gotta love the BSD roots, though, and nothing else *feels* more like UNIX than BSD.  I especially like the fact that FreeBSD has a very good ZFS port.

Sorry to threadjack, and waiting to see more pics.
smile.gif

Anything Linux / Unix related ROCKS hard!!!  I am a Slacker myself but on to the thread. 

I was curious as to why your version of Jeff's rub looked different from mine.  I think you want a more even, heavy coat all over the ribs.  When I did it that way, I had a nice even bark on the finished product.  Not to say yours won't turn out terrific.  Just making an observation.  What do you think?

That's why I'm doing a test run 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Figured I'd start light and work my way up, I'm new to the whole 'rub' thing.

here's a pic of how things are going to look for the next several hours
2010-06-17+19_26_24.jpg

how hot is too hot for ribs (internal temp)? The 5-day course just says to run at 225-240 for 6 hours minimum, does it really work out ok? I would be worried about drying them out.

Last edited:
Well, with pork, you generally want the IT to reach 160*.  6 hours for spares at around 225* is pretty much the rule-of-thumb.  It depends on your smoking environment as to whether or not they will be dry.  I use a MES with a water pan in order to keep the smoking environment moist.  With other smokers that don't have water pans, you will have to spritz them occasionally.

ok, figure that now is close enough to done, that and my wife got home, so that means it's dinner time
2010-06-17+21_46_18.jpeg

Looks great!

Also, I'd never would have guessed there'd be so many BSD & Linux users out here. Ubuntu here myself (except at work where its windows)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky