Fast track to correct temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reasoning

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Iowa
After owning my wsm for several months and realizing that I enjoy smoking meat alot I decided it's time to take it up a notch so I took advantage of todds sale and ordered a maverick et-732 and also ordered a thermoworks RT600C couldn't justify the thermapen, maybe someday

But anyway I was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips or tricks as far as working the mavericks? Any bugs I should be aware of etc. Any replies would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Haven't had any problems with mine.  Every time I have tested it in boiling water it has been with in 1 degree.  I have read where some people will put high temp silicone where the chord goes into the probe, but I haven't tried that and really don't know much about it.

just make darn sure you don't submerge the probes in water or leave them out in the rain all night. some folks on here seal them up with high temp rtv. and or shrink tubing. I have had mine for a few months now with no problems whatsoever. well, the range on mine isn't what they said it would be but no big deal for me. I started with the old redi check single probe and it lasted and lasted. reminds me I need to order a new probe for it because it still works. been using it for a kitchen timer since I got the new maverick. you will be pleased.Now I wish I had a thermapen though. would work real nice for wings and ribs to get it all dialed in.

Last edited:
I have had the et73 for several years and the et732 for over a year. The meat probe needed replacement in the 73 once but otherwise both trouble free and accurate. It seems to be an item that works as advertised.

With the ET 732 I had to replace one meat probe early on.  No problems since.

Tricks?  On my unit, you have to be sure the probe wires are REALLY pushed into the transmitter unit.  There is NOT a satisfying "click" to let you know they are properly seated.  Be sure to push and twist for a solid connection.

Be sure to follow directions carefully.  Start the receiver before starting the transmitter.  Get that done within the time specified.

If you live in a humid climate, take both probe wires along with the transmitter inside when finished with them.  Carefully wash the meat probe every time.  The pit probe can go several smokes before it needs cleaning.  If the pit probe gets too gunked up (technical term right there), it can give false readings.

Other than that?  I have been very happy with the ET 732.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky