Farp From Da North

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Farp

Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Central Minnesota
Howdy--just purchased the last Smokin-It Model #1 Steve had in stock. I have been without a smoker ever since my Green Mountain Daniel Boone decided it should freeze up the auger on me. I bought the thing in 2013, used it a few times until the food probe required a new module--so I replaced that in 2014. Next, it needed a new temperature control module--I paid for that one and replaced it in 2016. Then, in the spring of 2017, the auger was stuck.

I didn't use it all of 2017, and this spring, I decided I wasn't going to fix the GMG. My wife agreed and said to get rid of it; so I put it on-line at $200, which included a cover that was never opened and a set of grill grates. I had no takers. My wife agreed that I should just give it away, so I put it on-line as a give-away. And I gave it away after only two people called.

So, you see, I'm done with pellet smokers for good. I've proven that you can hardly give the things away. The only smoking I've done in the last two years is on a gas Weber with indirect heat and wood chips wrapped in foil on the burner. It's okay, but lacks the smoke flavor I want--hence the SI.

This time, I reviewed things closely and settled on the SI #1. It may not be perfect, but I think it's the next closest thing...just sayin'.

I know about pellets expanding in humid conditions and all that; but, hey, I have a hundred other responsibilities. I don't want to be babysitting a pellet smoker, too. If pellets work for you--great--it won't for me. And they have hot spots and don't provide the necessary smoke flavor anyway, but I digress...

Farp

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, we look forward to seeing all of the great pictures of your future smokes. Hopefully your Smokin-It will be all that you expect and more.

George

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your troubles. One question - did you check to see if you had a pellet or two stuck in your auger? On my pellet home heater I've had a pellet jam the auger up once or twice. Sometimes they just wedge themselves in there pretty good.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky