FAQ needed...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raselkirk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Port Neches, TX
Hi All,

I've looked around and haven't seen a FAQ and I have a couple basic questions:

1) For what type of smoking is the water pan used and when to use it?

2) Is it better to keep the vent wide open for airflow or throttled to make the smoke last?

3) How long will jerky/snack stix keep when cure #1 is used? And do they need refrigeration? I'd like to send some to my Dad via snail-mail, bad idea?

Thanks!

Russ

Russ,
I will try to answer your questions.
1) The only FAQ that I know of is here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/atype/3/Forum_FAQ/sort/new
But most of that FAQ deals with the forum rules and such! The best tool for info here is the search function at the top of every page.

2) It is best to keep your exhaust vent wide open, you do not want the smoke to linger to long in the cook chamber, and stale smoke tastes nasty.

3) Jerky and snack sticks don’t last long at my house. But I have kept cured well dried jerky unrefrigerated for up to a week with no problems.

Russ,
1) The only FAQ that I know of is here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/atype/3/Forum_FAQ/sort/new
But most of that FAQ deals with the forum rules and such! The best tool for info here is the search function at the top of every page.

2) It is best to keep your exhaust vent wide open, you do not want the smoke to linger to long in the cook chamber, and stale smoke tastes nasty.

3) Jerky and snack sticks don’t last long at my house. But I have kept cured well dried jerky unrefrigerated for up to a week with no problems.
At least you found it, which was better than I could do... Thanks for the info on the vent and keep time. Any help the water pan Q?

Russ

Russ,

At least you found it, which was better than I could do... Thanks for the info on the vent and keep time. Any help the water pan Q?

Russ

I forgot that question!!LOL I never use a water pan anymore but I used to. There are a lot who do. IMHO the water pan is mainly used to help control heat spikes and dips in a smoker. A lot of people just fill their water pan with play sand and then put foil over it to create a heat sync.to help with heat recovery after opening their cook chamber. The only thing I found using a water pan got me was more condensation and less bark.

Russ,

Russ

I forgot that question!!LOL I never use a water pan anymore but I used to. There are a lot who do. IMHO the water pan is mainly used to help control heat spikes and dips in a smoker. A lot of people just fill their water pan with play sand and then put foil over it to create a heat sync.to help with heat recovery after opening their cook chamber. The only thing I found using a water pan got me was more condensation and less bark.
Reason I ask, I've done boudain (cooked meat & rice in a sausage casing for those that don't know it) both with and w/o the water pan and it made no discernible difference. Those were 4 hour smoke too, both times the skin came out tough and dry but with good flavor. I used red wine & a little bourbon in my pan and couldn't tell any hint of flavor from it...

Russ

Russ,
What temp. did you smoke boudain at? You might try cool smoking or even cold smoking then finish it off in a 190 or 200 deg. water bath on the stove till you get the internal temp. where you want it. That should help with dry chewy casing. Also what type of casing did you use?

Russ,
What temp. did you smoke boudain at? You might try cool smoking or even cold smoking then finish it off in a 190 or 200 deg. water bath on the stove till you get the internal temp. where you want it. That should help with dry chewy casing. Also what type of casing did you use?
The boudain was store-bought but not smoked, pretty sure it's in natural casings. I did the first batch at 160 and the second at 225 because I have trouble getting good smoke at less than 200. The second time (with the pan) I had burgers, links, and dogs in there too (everything but the boudain went in with 2 hours left on the timer). Pretty much still experimenting. Now I have a cold-smoke box, so next time...

Russ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky