• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fall Pork Butt

TGRIMMOSU#1

Meat Mopper
Joined May 26, 2020
Finally have a nice cool Fall weekend in store so decided to use the WSM for the 2nd time since I bought it earlier this summer. Injected the butt last night and rubbed it down. Wrapped it in a foil pan and put it into the fridge. Got the WSM dialed in at 275° and at 730am the butt went on. Was rainy and windy this morning when I got everything going. Rain has stopped but the winds still going strong. Smoker seems to be holding 275 pretty well. I lava locked the door after the first use.

Attachments

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Looks like a great start to the morning. Look forward to the finished pics.
Jim

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looking good! Nice fall day here to but going to rain soon I guess. I wanted to fire up something too.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 3, 2015
Looking good! Yes, smell of smoking meat on a cool day, man! Can’t wait to see end result! I’m in!

TGRIMMOSU#1

Meat Mopper
Joined May 26, 2020
IT @190°. Still chugging along at 275°. Really impressed with how well it holds temp. I have had to open the bottom up a bit as the charcoal I starting to get low. But I couple small adjustments and right back to 275°

Attachments

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Looking good, I add more wood/charcoal when my temp starts dropping instead of messing with the vents

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I also learned that as the water pan gets low long with the charcoal it will balance out to keep the temps pretty steady for awhile, I dont reload the the water only the fuel

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
So how did it turn out?
Al

TGRIMMOSU#1

Meat Mopper
Joined May 26, 2020
Sorry with the late pics. Getting flooring laid this week so have been busy getting ready for it. Turned out pretty good. Ended up probe tender around 205°. I'm not a big fan of BBQ sauce. Does anyone have a finishing sauce that they like that isn't a heavy BBQ sauce?

Attachments

TGRIMMOSU#1

Meat Mopper
Joined May 26, 2020
I also learned that as the water pan gets low long with the charcoal it will balance out to keep the temps pretty steady for awhile, I dont reload the the water only the fuel
I dont use the water pan. It's in there but I just leave it empty and put a big drip pan under whatever I'm cooking to catch the mess

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.