Fall Colors @ Bear's House

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I have leaf envy.  Here in South Texas our leaves will go from green to brown with nothing in between.  I will still mow the yard about three more times before Christmas.
I remember that---I was at Ft Hood from August, 1970, until May, 1971.

Great food down there though.

I just mowed this afternoon, and I'll probably mow at least one more time. These mowings are mostly to blow the leaves into the woods.

Bear

Beautiful pics, Bear. And I absolutely LOVE your house!! Yeah, that cold, wet, white stuff is nice to visit but tough to live in. But us South Florida folks have it pretty tough too as you can see.
Thanks RK !!!

Yup, I can see you got it rough down there!! Great Pics!!

Bear

Got a spare bedroom ?   I need a vacation   Nice house, nice view and I know great BBQ  doesn't get any better than that.

Gary

Your place looks great, Bear. Up here in the mountains, we don't get as much colour but the Tamaracs are turning yellow and we have red leaves in our garden. We never lose them before snow.

Your little spot looks like a slice of heaven. You would spend many hours at a place like that with a beverage, a snack and a smoker. Enjoy!

Disco
Thanks Disco!!

Mrs Bear wanted a log house all of her life!!

About 10 years ago she got one.

Bear

Nice spot there Bear....up here in the PNW it's mostly green with all the rains...trees, mold, etc...LOL but we do get spots of color here & there. Right now we be fogged in but later in the day the sun will appear and just be a glorious day....Willie
Thanks Willie!!!

I think our weather is moving toward yours, with all the rain we've had the last 3 or 4 years!!

Bear

Got a spare bedroom ?   I need a vacation   Nice house, nice view and I know great BBQ  doesn't get any better than that.

Gary
Thank You Gary!!!

Bear

Last edited:
That's one of the few things I miss up in PA..........Fall colors, Ice fishing and the festivals........ Thanks for sharing bear..........
icon14.gif

Beautiful home with a great view Bear! Here in the piney woods of EastTexas, I can only dream of fall colors.
Thank You Hick!!!

I was at Ft Hood for 7 months, and I could easily name a few things off the top of my head that I liked about Texas.

Bear

That's one of the few things I miss up in PA..........Fall colors, Ice fishing and the festivals........ Thanks for sharing bear..........
icon14.gif
Thanks Joe !!

Those are definitely 3 of our good things!!

Good to see ya,

Bear

Nice looking place you got there Bear. At my place, its all over but the raking.
Thanks Ricky!!

I never rake-----Too much area.

When the leaves are on the ground, I drive my Lawn Tractor counterclockwise, with the chute pointing outward, beginning at the house. Then I keep it blowing outward until I get to the woods. That way the leaves end up in the woods, and my yard is green. I'll do that one more time this year, and any leaves that fall after that will be good fertilizer for the grass.

Bear

Last edited:
Bear, That is sure pretty here are a couple from East Texas (Tyler area)  But nothing to compare with your view. These are from down the road a bit.  That's about it for fall color around here We did get some snow last Christmas, everybody was excited. Our snow usually doesn't last but a couple of days, makes a mess and no one down here can drive in it, but they think they can.

Hey Bear

I fired up my lawn tractor last week for the last time this year.  It was mainly to clean up the leaves.  I just mow them up and throw them on the compost pile.  Since I have almost exactly 1 acre of lawn, there is no way I'm raking.  Like you say, any leaves that are left are fertilizer

Gary

Nice home Bear, D shape or square log? I use to work on natural Log homes, did some work for Alpine, Maple Island and a few others... Your A shape on the front,, does it open up into a Great room?

Bear, That is sure pretty here are a couple from East Texas (Tyler area)  But nothing to compare with your view. These are from down the road a bit.  That's about it for fall color around here We did get some snow last Christmas, everybody was excited. Our snow usually doesn't last but a couple of days, makes a mess and no one down here can drive in it, but they think they can.
A lot of real pretty reds & pinks down there. Most of our Fall woods is Yellow & Orange, because most of it is Poplar. Also a sprinkling of Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Walnut, Maple, Pear, Sassafras, and Dogwood.

It snowed when I was at Ft Hood, and I noticed the driving thing. We're kinda used to it here.

Bear

Now thats something I dont miss about PA............LOL  Nor the cinder and salt
LOL---You mean it used to snow up around Scranton???

Our cars didn't use to last much more than 4 years, due to the salt. Seems they fixed that problem.

Bear

Bear, years ago I traveled all over the country (crane & rigging and heavy lifting) I always enjoyed calling on Air Products at Allentown, thought the mountains were beautiful. There was a little restaurant up there called  Widow Brown's who had an excellent  steak. We use to a lot of work at most all their plants. Since I did drive all over and more time than I cared to in the snow I did learn to drive in it (Kind of) at least respect it and pay attention. I once got caught in a blizzard about 40 miles out of Raton NM they had and were closing the roads took me 5 hours to go those 40 miles. We once  moved a 200 ton crane from Cheyenne WY to Durango CO got snowed in at Southfork and took the crane over Wolf Creek Pass  pretty exciting. anyway could go on and on. But I do like those fall colors.

Gary

Bear, years ago I traveled all over the country (crane & rigging and heavy lifting) I always enjoyed calling on Air Products at Allentown, thought the mountains were beautiful. There was a little restaurant up there called  Widow Brown's who had an excellent  steak. We use to a lot of work at most all their plants. Since I did drive all over and more time than I cared to in the snow I did learn to drive in it (Kind of) at least respect it and pay attention. I once got caught in a blizzard about 40 miles out of Raton NM they had and were closing the roads took me 5 hours to go those 40 miles. We once  moved a 200 ton crane from Cheyenne WY to Durango CO got snowed in at Southfork and took the crane over Wolf Creek Pass  pretty exciting. anyway could go on and on. But I do like those fall colors.

Gary
I never ate at Widow Browns, but my brother told me they have good steaks.

I know a few guys who work or drive for Air Products. It's actually in Trexlertown, real close to Mack Trucks, and only a few miles from my house.

Everybody that lives on this road has 4 X 4s, because of getting home. It's downhill from here, no matter which road you take. Our Son lives at the other end of our driveway, and without 4WD you can't drive from his house to mine, on our driveway (on ice or snow).

Bear

Wow small world, like I said it has been years, wasn't sure it that place was still around, My mistake about Trexlertown its  been a long time. But sure was pretty though.

Gary

Wow small world, like I said it has been years, wasn't sure it that place was still around, My mistake about Trexlertown its  been a long time. But sure was pretty though.

Gary
Not really a mistake. Air Products is on Hamilton Blvd in Trexlertown, but just down the road a bit Hamilton Blvd becomes the main drag through Allentown. The heart of Allentown being 7th and Hamilton. Mrs Bear shops at Giant, in Trexlertown, between Air Products & Mack Trucks (Macungie).

Bear

Bearcarver, you have a beautiful home and place.    The trees turning in the fall is not something I get to see too much of, except in the pictures.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky