Fake Tater rolls, first attempt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
they looks great! how long did you let the proof for before you threw them in the oven? Maybe next time add an hour or two so you can get a more airy finished product

Contrary to popular recipes,for light rolls the dough is not Punched Down and reworked with a Benching to relax the gluten. After your initial Fermentation the dough is Gently folded on itself, four corners to the center, then cut to weight and gently formed into Balls by tucking the the dough top to bottom to form a ball with a stretched top skin followed by the final rise. Additionally the dough can be patted to the desired thickness and cut to size with a Biscuit cutter then panned for the final rise. Both methods leave pockets of concentrated yeast colonies in the dough. During the final rise these pockets grow larger than surrounding dough giving the rolls an Open Crumb and keeping them lighter/airier...JJ

Thanks Jim,

Ill post a follow up later on, bread making has been my pain-n-azz for he past 3 years, without help.

YAll seem to care here and love cooking az much az I do!

2nd attempt,

Had these started before JJ's post!

Turned out being great bunns, smile!

Ill post the recipe in a few, and Ill be getting a smaller cast iron for small batches next time...

Late dinner, at least it was a lite dinner!

Lump charcoal(My first bag is/waz Royal Oak) is kicking my azz, such a learning curve. Campfires were never this tough, from what I remember.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky