Eye round roasts for Memorial Day...few questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

my87csx481

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
CT, USA
I found a couple small eye round roasts in the freezer that I forgot about.  I'm thinking about smokin' 'em for Memorial Day.  Not sure on how I'd serve it...probably sliced for sandwiches...but I'm open to suggestions.

I could use some advice though.  I've never smoked a roast before.  I've really only done pork spare and back ribs and only one pork butt....and some fatties.  I don't think I've ever done any beef.  A tragedy, I know but, I just started out last summer.

What do you guys suggest for a rub?  130 internal temp for rare?  What temp for medium-rare or medium?  Smoked at what temp?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.  Sorry for the long post.

I would go basic , garlic , pepper , onion

maybe a little italian seasoning.

us some nice apple wood or hickory

225* to internal of 135 max. there's not allot of marbleing or fat on a sirloin and if you cook it much more its gonna be shoe leather

slice it thin on a nice roll for philly style sammies with some cheese and peppers

I'm with Uncle, salt,pepper,onion,garlic(SPOG)

And anything over 135º is gonna start dryin out.

Let it rest about 1hr and slice thin for some sammies

Don't forget to give us some Qveiw

Eye round is very lean,,so take it slow and easy..

Craig

Thanks for the replies.

One last question, for now, I read in a thread on here to not stick the probe into the meat in the beginning.  I know why (food safety reasons) but, how long should I wait?  The roasts I have are about 3-4 pounds a piece.

Thanks again for the help.

It depends on what temp your smokin at.

At 225º for a 3lb roast i would go about 1-1½ hrs

Or you could sterilize the probe with alcohol before inserting.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/106777/smoked-eye-of-round

Just finished one. Try to stay around 225º and pull it out at 135º internal. We injected with a Butter/Garlic sauce and used Garlic salt, onion powder, Lemon Pepper and Pepper for our spices. Besides what I stated in my post, we have also mixed up some good gravy and mashed taters with this cut of meat. Make sure you slice it thin.

I agree with the other guys, I wouldn't let it get past 135. The only difference is I pull mine out of the smoker at 125, foil it & let it sit on the counter. I leave a probe in it & when it hits 135 it's ready for cutting. I usually just cut a couple of slices off to sample then refrigerate over night & thin slice the next day. If it warms up while slicing & gets hard to slice thin I put it in the freezer for 30 minutes then start slicing again.

Im with you Al

I  love to just smoke ti then coll it and shave it on the slicer

there are so many different delicious Sammies you can make from it then

I Lilke to buy Jimmy Johns bread and make italian beef sammies and throw under the broiler for a few minutes with provelone

nothing like rare shaved beef to do just about anything with

I agree with the other guys, I wouldn't let it get past 135. The only difference is I pull mine out of the smoker at 125, foil it & let it sit on the counter. I leave a probe in it & when it hits 135 it's ready for cutting. I usually just cut a couple of slices off to sample then refrigerate over night & thin slice the next day. If it warms up while slicing & gets hard to slice thin I put it in the freezer for 30 minutes then start slicing again.
Sorry Al i am lost how do you pull it out at 125 let it cool on the counter till hit 135
icon_mrgreen.gif

I never smoked eye round roasts .

sausage.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky