eye round for jerky?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guvna

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Fairfax, VA
i'm going to do some beef jerky on thursday and i figured eye of round might be a good cut to use. it's long and lean... what do you think? probably going to cure in teryaki. my instacure #1 just arrived today. BTW, the package of instacure says to smoke jerky at 200. any thoughts on that?
thanks,
guv

I usually use topround--get it on sale at 1.99/lb. I start my smoke around 200 then drop off a bit. If i remember right, I give it 3 to 4 hours of smoke in the pit, then I switch to gas and ramp to 160 or so for a total cook of around 8 hours or till the jerky bends and cracks but doesn't break:-)

sms

Updated after looking at my notes

I don't cure my jerky but I turn out some pretty fine stuff. I Smoke at 160 degrees for 1 ½ hours, then fade from wood to propane for fuel to prevent over smoking, Cook at 180 to 200 for another 3 ½ hours or till the jerky slightly cracks(remember it will dry some more after cooling. Let smoker cool with jerky in it. Total rack time 5 to 6 hours, sometimes longer. I usually do 12 pounds of topround at a time which yields me 40 plus food saver bags at 2.2 ounces each dry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky