Eye of Round Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 16, 2014
Bradenton
My smoking buddy Tony and I went to the butcher today to get meat for this coming week. I picked up a 1.8 pounds of eye of rount for $4/pound.

I smoked it for tonight,s dinner.

Having never done one before, I didn't want to stray too far off normal, so I coated with mustard and used my normal rub, just like I did on my last brisket.

To the 1/4 tray aluminum pan, I put an chopped up onion, bulb of garlic, carrots and celery, as per JJ's recipie fot Smokie Au Ju.

Placed the roast on top and into the smoker it went at 230*. After an hour, I added some beef broth. When IT hit 125*, I pulled from smoker, let rest fot 30 minutes while I finished off the Au Ju. Then I sliced it as thin as i could (I think I need an electric knife).

It was great! The pieces I got thin were melt in you mouth tender. The thicker slices I had to chew some, but the flavor was worth is. The Au Ju was marvolous. Have lots, and I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but I'll think of something. Thank you Chef JJ for that recipie!

Last edited:
Whenever I get my hands on eye of round, it turns into beef jerky or dried beef. Will have to try this one now! 
drool.gif

Smokey au jus is awesome!!

points.gif

That roast came out perfectly. Freeze the JUS, it can be used for the next cook or as the liquid in another slow cooked Beef dish, Stew, Pot Roast, Soup or even a Taco Filling like Barbacoa...JJ

Steve very nice looking smoke.Color is fantastic.As JJ said freeze it,you can drizzle it over a Burger,Fries.

Richie

points.gif

I love my juice! I usually have plenty left over when I do a butt and it usually goes into pork, barley & veggie soup!

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky