Eye of round Pastrami, mucho q-view!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I always slice it first, then vac pack & freeze it. That way you only need to clean the slicer one time, and as long as it's vac packed it will last for ever in the freezer. Then when thawed it tastes just like you just made it.
Al

Ditto with what Al said:
Any time I use my slicer for anything I'm saving, I get all the slicing done at once so Mrs Bear only has to wash the parts & Slicer once. Then Seal & Freeze.

Bear

Hi Al
I was searching around for a eye round pastrami recipe and found yours, so I decided to give it a go. I had picked up a couple whole eye round roasts last week and had to either get em in the freezer or cook or braseaola. Pastrami won the battle. I wont bore anyone with the trimming pics but I put em both into a five gallon pail and used your recipe, altering for 3 gallons of liquid. Will share the results in a couple of weeks.
20201206_175210 (1).jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
Hi Al
I was searching around for a eye round pastrami recipe and found yours, so I decided to give it a go. I had picked up a couple whole eye round roasts last week and had to either get em in the freezer or cook or braseaola. Pastrami won the battle. I wont bore anyone with the trimming pics but I put em both into a five gallon pail and used your recipe, altering for 3 gallons of liquid. Will share the results in a couple of weeks.View attachment 474029

Good luck, it looks like a good start!
Al

Looks awesome Al, it’s a process but man it’s worth it after a couple weeks!

Your pastrami always good. You taught me how a couple years ago and I dearly appreciate it. I think the mustard is what does the magic ! I started using horseradish mustard . Great job once again Al..

HT

Thanks HT, I totally appreciate the compliment!!
Al

SmokinAl,
I am going to start this recipe this weekend. Questions, you used raw sugar. Can I use brown sugar? Is there a difference? Also after I inject and put into the brine how do I know how long to soak? Is there a table I need to refer to? I think this is gonna be stellar!

SmokinAl,
I am going to start this recipe this weekend. Questions, you used raw sugar. Can I use brown sugar? Is there a difference? Also after I inject and put into the brine how do I know how long to soak? Is there a table I need to refer to? I think this is gonna be stellar!

Yes you can use brown sugar, for a average size round I would go 10-12 days. It goes by the thickness. I believe it’s 1 day per 1/2” of thickness, plus a couple of more days just to be safe. But you could leave it in the brine for 3 weeks with no ill effects. Since you are also injecting it you could probably take it out in 1 week. I just cure everything for 12-14 days no matter how thick they are. It is just simpler that way. Good luck!
Al

Reactions: ryansguitars
Yes you can use brown sugar, for a average size round I would go 10-12 days. It goes by the thickness. I believe it’s 1 day per 1/2” of thickness, plus a couple of more days just to be safe. But you could leave it in the brine for 3 weeks with no ill effects. Since you are also injecting it you could probably take it out in 1 week. I just cure everything for 12-14 days no matter how thick they are. It is just simpler that way. Good luck!
Al

Just want to give SmokinAl a shout out on this recipe. I did the recipe as described. Just finished slicing it this morning and it is GOOOOD! Will for sure do this one again! I bet 5 pounds doesn't last me long.

Just want to give SmokinAl a shout out on this recipe. I did the recipe as described. Just finished slicing it this morning and it is GOOOOD! Will for sure do this one again! I bet 5 pounds doesn't last me long.
Ha HA, that‘s awesome Ryan!
I’m so glad it turned out so well for you!!!
Al

I was at Sam's a couple of weeks ago looking for some salmon to make lox. They really didn't have any that looked good so while looking around I found a 5# eye of round, Angus choice. I have been wanting to make pastrami with a round roast for some time. I grabbed it. No trimming necessary. I injected it with as much brine as it would hold, then into a bag with the rest of the brine for 12 days. This is the brine I used.

1 gal water

1/3 cup pickling salt

1/3 cup raw sugar

2 TBS cure #1

1/3 cup pickling spices

2 bay leaves

1/8 cup granulated garlic

Into a plastic bag & into the fridge. Here it is after 12 days.

Next into an ice water bath for 4 hours.

Dry it off & coat with mustard.

Then black pepper, and wrap in plastic wrap, and into the fridge overnight.

Out of the fridge in the morning, ready for the smoker. Using the Smoke Vault with hickory and oak, lava rock & water in the water pan.

It took about 4 hours to get to 145 IT. Rested it for a couple of hours.

Then had to cut into it for some Reuben sandwiches.

Judy made some homemade rye bread, and it's just out of the oven.

Took about half a loaf & split it in half & buttered the insides. Sliced up some pastrami.

And started to build a sandwich for the flat top. First the pastrami, then the kraut.

Finally the Swiss cheese, then the top piece of rye.

Put a cover over it to get the inside hot. When the bottom is getting brown time to flip it.

All flipped! LOOKS LIKE AN ANGRY DOG WITH IT"S TONGUE HANGING OUT!!

Here it LOOKS LIKE A GATOR AFTER THE THERM!!

Yep ready to get the therm!!

Now to make the Thousand Island dressing.

I wish I could say I had a bunch of photo's of me cutting it up, but just as I pulled it off the grill a couple of friends showed up (I think they smelled the smoke)

I cut it into 4 pieces & they all grabbed a piece before I could get the camera out of my pocket.

I have one shot of what they left for me. Nice slice, with dressing & homemade dill pickles.

The flavor was very good, the meat was extremely tender. I would definitely do this again.

It's going to be a hard choice next time between brisket & eye of round for pastrami.

Maybe I should just get another freezer & do both!

Thanks for looking!

Al

Thank You so much, I got to this 2 days after I smoked mine. Taste was good but since it was the eye of the round I pulled it out at 200. I will definitely use your outline next time. My spice rub was way too coarse, Looking forward to your recipe. Pictures tell a thousand words. Thank You Very Much, Very much appreciated:emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: SmokinAl
Thank You so much, I got to this 2 days after I smoked mine. Taste was good but since it was the eye of the round I pulled it out at 200. I will definitely use your outline next time. My spice rub was way too coarse, Looking forward to your recipe. Pictures tell a thousand words. Thank You Very Much, Very much appreciated:emoji_thumbsup:
Your very welcome!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky