Expected Erroneous Temp Readings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hiram

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Asheville NC
Unpacked my MES40 I've had for a couple of weeks yesterday, set it for 240 for a couple of hours to burn off the oils inside. I have a Taylor instruments digital probe that I use with my Bradley and I trust it as the temps stay with 1 degree plus or minus beside my PID.

I put a big spud in with MES probe and the Taylor probe  close together in the center, Throughout the 2 hrs the Taylor registered 6 degrees higher than the unit's probe which is not bad, what can I expect as far as the cabinet temps indicated on the digital readout on the unit and actual cabinet temps.

I put the taylor probe near the heat sensor in the cabinet and got a 30 degree difference but then this is not a good way to measure it. I read somewhere the cabinet temp may be off 20 degrees, just need a ballpark figure to start out with, thanks.

If by cabinet temp you mean the one from the factory set into the cook chamber, those can be off by 50+ degrees. It's always a good idea to test your thermos with boiling water to determine accuracy -- even the quality ones.

You know, I hear this all of the time. However my Masterbuilt 30 is EXACTLY on the money as was the Great Smokey Mountain I just lost in a fire. I guess i am one of the lucky ones or maybe the ONLY lucky one.

The factory gauge is always off. You just need to know by how much & adjust from there.

Most folks here use a probe to verify what is going on in their unit, or at least until they know how the therm on the unit really acts.  Be sure your probes are accurate with the boiling water and ice water tests.  I don't think altitude is a problem for you, but I don't really know your geography.  If you are above sea level by much, water will not boil at 212:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/boilpoint.htm

Check it out and see what ya got goin.

Good luck and good smoking.

Cooked a meat loaf yesterday, used the probe plus a remote probe and an expensive oven thermometer. The MES probe is off +6 degrees, the cabinet temp is off by + 6-9 degrees depending on what rack the thermometer is on, I can live with that. I was impressed most by the recovery time after opening the door.

Six degrees in the pit is not generally a major factor.  Six degrees on an internal temp could be a pain at a desired 145 degree finished product.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky