Expanded Metal Cooking Grid?

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by ridgerunner, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. ridgerunner

    ridgerunner Newbie

    I have a 10 year old gas grill that I need to replace some parts on once again. I am contemplating the use of expanded metal for the cooking grid as well as the grid that supports the ceramic briquets. Will this work alright? Can I just buy a piece at one of the big box hardware stores and cut it down to size or does it have to be made of a certain type of steel?
  2. capt dan

    capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    as long as it isn't galvanized, you should be fine!
  3. smok'n steve

    smok'n steve Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Gauge Thickness is important, so becareful not to get the thin stuff at the big box stores because its cheaper. You want 3/4 by #9, .120 thickness. If you go to a steel place they will shear it to size for you probably cheaper than you can buy it at H.D. if HD has it that thick:)

    If it were me, I would go to a restaurant dealer, ask him to order you cast charbroiler grates the proper length of your grill---they come 5" wide by different lengths and you just slide them together to form the width. They really perform well, but more $ too!!


Share This Page