entering the 5th hour of a stall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

porklvr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Southeastern North Carolina
butts went on at midnight so they would have plenty of time to get done and rest in the cooler for a couple of hours....or so i thought.
icon_mad.gif
  Here we are 10.5 hours later and been sitting steady at 156 since around 6am.  never had one stall this long before.  I moved the probe and also probed the second butt, it also reads 156.  JOY!!!!  i hope it gets through this soon, need to eat by 630!!

Did you check the probe with boiling water to make sure they are working.  What is the size of the butt and what temp are you cooking at

Take a big fork and stab them deep or go ahead and foil them if you were gonna foil either way it should beak the stall

I've been cooking at around 232ish the whole smoke, butts are about 7.5lbs each.  I hadn't planned on foiling, only bc i don't want to soften the bark too much.  It finally started climbing a little but very slow....it's at about 168 now after 13 hours in the smoker.  How will it affect the meat if i crank the temp up to about 275 to get it moving along a little faster??  Is that a bad idea??  I did check the probe last night it was almost spot on.  Thanks for the help.

I had similar issues a couple weeks ago and have tried to smoke my last 3 butts without foiling and had major stalls at 225*.  Someone here recommended smoking butts at temps of 250* to 270* which I am going to try on my next one tomorrow or Monday.  Having said that, I don't think you'll have any issues if you bump the chamber temps up.

I did an 8 pound butt at 250 degrees today and it took close to 9 hours with no major stalls.  (Although I must admit I didn't even put in my thermometer until 5 hours in so I might have missed it) When I put it in for the first time it was 155. In the next 4 hours I took it to 205 (foiled from 165 on) and towel/blanket wrapped in the cooler for 2 hours. Just finished pulling it and got about 5 pounds of nice pulled pork. Sitting in the fridge to be reheated and eaten at my moms tomorrow. Can't wait.

Good luck with yours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky