Endless Butt Jokes [with Qview]

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joneser

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Well, My Sunday started off at about 5:30 am. The previous night, my lovely wife picked up a 8.5 lb. Boston Butt for pulled pork.
I patted the butt, smeared it with yellow mustard and coated it with a top secret rub, wrapped it in Saran wrap and put it in the fridge to sleep until the morning. I also used Bob's Brine to brine some salmon for lunch the following day. That brine made the dish....That and Dutch's Maple Glaze. (Dutch, that glaze was amazing! Tons of compliments!) After the fish was put to bed, I rolled out some Whole Hog sausage, scrambled a couple of eggs and rolled it all up with some shredded cheddar for a nice breakfast fatty. We also did a plain sausage and bacon fatty.
Here are the Qview's......

Me and my early morning helper
2897835747_63971e442c.jpg

This is a little out of focus, but so was I at that time of morning....
2898678000_bbecbbf18d.jpg

What an awesome idea! These were fantastic!
2898681676_9953820d63.jpg

Both Fatties on biscuits drizzled with real maple syrup. WOW! These were amazing!
2897841099_a54d5619ee.jpg

After Breakfast, I popped on the Brined Salmon. I Mopped them with Dutch's Maple Glaze when they hit about 130 degrees.
2898770044_d9155c3bbe.jpg

Now for the butt!
I had my 13 year old son rolling with the "Come check out my butt....How does my butt smell?" jokes....Priceless!

Here is the Butt about 1/2 way through cooking. I was spraying it with an Apple Juice/Bacardi Rum mixture about every hour after the temp rose above 100 degrees.
2897845885_f21741b81e.jpg

Here is the finished butt. This thing hit a plateau at about 155 degrees and it hit a smaller one at about 177 degrees. I finished it off in a 250 degree oven, while wrapped in a double layer of foil.
2897846233_033ae20dd1.jpg

All in all I'd have to say that these forums have helped me reach a level of quality in smoking that a month ago I never thought I could reach. So to those of you starting out, just keep studying what others have done and don't be afraid to add your own innovations to your smoking.
Good luck to all.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot!
I have achieved the level of BBQ transcendence known as TBS! I'm really happy about that!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

2898682702_64e5c998aa.jpg

Was that FROST on the ground in your first pic?!?!?

It all looks awesome. Salmon is something I haven't tried yet (because once again I am the only one who will eat it), and I am beginning to have fatty withdrawal.

Very nice job!

That was Northern Indiana Dew. Yeah, it kinda does look like frost.....it was chilly, I could see my breath.

Wow, looks great. I haven't tried the maple glaze yet on the salmon. I'm supposed to stay away from sugar and that sounds loaded. May have to play with it to see if I can make a lower calorie version.

yeah that maple galze is looking better each time I think about it lol.

Why brine the salmon ?
Salmon is a fatty and naturally moist fish. Personally I'd have just used the glaze.
Still if it turned out great that's what counts !

No way would my dog get out of bed that early lol (or me come to that)

Nice smoke... I've yet to try a scrambled egg fatty. Seeing how you've put them on the biscuit was a nice touch. Sort of like notsofastfood.
biggrin.gif

Maybe thats what been bothering me lately... I think I need to make some fatties.

You must try that glaze! I mixed it up the previous night and refrigerated it so the flavors could mingle. It thickened up a lot in the fridge, but I left it out on the counter for a couple of hours to get it "brushable" Great stuff!

I brined the fish because I thought the fish would lose moisture on the smoke. I know the salmon was super juicy after the brine. I guess I should have set one aside to compare with/without brine.....there's always next time.

That old dog follows me everywhere....

Very nice smoke. Congrats
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Good looking smoke and nice Qview the SMF has been a big plus for me also,and the people here are great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky