Elm wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

soonerrx

Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Pryor, OK
Another newbie question:

Can you use elm as a base wood for burning?

I've been told both ways. I have access to a large amount of elm wood but not sure if I should use it. Thanks in advance for tolerating those of us who are just at the beginning of this smoking addiction.

for whatever its worth, Elm is the wood I use 99% of the time, I have used it for years with absolutely no trouble. I have read its fine, I have read its bad, if it were bad I believe I would have noticed it by now?
wink.gif
icon_smile.gif
I cook for a lot of friends, there has never been a bad reaction nor has anyone ever said the food wasn't good. I hope this helps.

I've used it too, for a hot coal base, not for flavoring.
IMO it burns quick like cottonwood...
I get a hot bed of coals going and then use my smoking woods, mesquite, pecan, hickory, etc for the smoke.

edited to add.... my favorite wood is hedge posts. :)

thankx terry..........cause i have some wood, i can't find out if its cheery or elm........the two trees stand side by side, and i had limbs fall outta the trees.......cut it up, but havne't used it because of story''s its not good......if YOU use it, then i know its fine.......THANX again.......POINTS

I'm behind Terry on this one. This man is a seasoned smoker and a good friend, glad he's still active. Nice to hear from you, may Montana treat you well.

thank you my friends.
icon_smile.gif
Jeanie honey, I agree with you, it burns fast, I split all my wood into kindling size pieces and have to add 2 or three pieces every 20 minutes, its a pain in the butt but it keeps the smoke thin blue.

WD, I thank you for your kind words, normally I just keep my mouth shut, but in this instance, I do know of what I speak. I sincerly hope I don't ruffle feathers here.
redface.gif

I'm with you... Montana treated me just great. I'll never forget that state.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky